Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Loading Custumization Profile

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
bcollins
4210 Views, 9 Replies

Problem Loading Custumization Profile

I recently installed Land Desktop Companion 2009 on a new 64 bit Windows 7 machine.  To speed up the process of setting up all my custom settings (colors, preferences, tool bar locations, etc.), I exported my profile from an XP machine also running LDC 2009 and imported the setting into the W7 machine.  When I imported the profile and set it as current, everything ran fine.  However, when I edited the desktop shortcut properties to bring up the profile everytime the shortcut is clicked (i.e. right clicked on the icon on the desktop -> properties-> shortcut tab -> target -> added "  /p "profile name"  " to the end of the target) AutoCAD no longer launches Land Desktop.  I can open a drawing fine, but it won't let me access any of the data associated with the LDC project (points, surfaces, etc.).  For example, when I try to list points it gives me this error:

C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoCAD Civil 3D Land Desktop Companion 2009\aeccapp.arx
cannot find a dll or other file that it needs.
; error: ARXLOAD failed

However, if I go back and edit the desktop shortcut and remove my custom profile name and instead insert the default Land Desktop profile then everything works fine.  What's more, once AutoCAD launches, I can immediately set my custom profile to current and everything works fine.  So I'm thinking that the problem is not with the profile, but rather with how AutoCAD is loading it on startup.

This is not a HUGE problem since I can still load my custom settings and everything works fine, but I'd rather not have to take that extra step every time I launch AutoCAD.  Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
lstarbird
in reply to: bcollins

Did you ever find a fix for this?

I'm receiving the same error on our Windows 7 x64 workstations with LD 2009 installed, as well.  I didn't export the profile or CUI from old systems as I wanted to be sure that any issues that came up would be due to the installation & not from bad info it couldn't handle that I'd import...so I created new profiles & CUI from scratch.  I tried 5 different video card drivers (Nvidia Quadro 600) & still no luck.  The funny thing is, I see this on all of our new workstations (about 5 so far)...but ONE which was mine that I used to test installs etc. before moving forward with upgrading the office from Windows XP w/LD 2007.  My workstation also has a different video card (ATI FirePro V4800).

Message 3 of 10
bcollins

No.  I never found a solution.  Fortunately for me it was a temporary problem that I had to endure while I was working from home for a week or two.  I haven't had to deal with it since.

The only possible solution I heard from the folks at AutoCAD was that LDC 2009 was never intended to run on Windows 7.  Since Windows 7 changed up their directory sturcture (i.e. no more documents and settings, etc.) 2009 is set to look for the files it needs to load that profile in a folder that doesn't exist.  As such, it just stops trying.  I'm not sure I buy that 100% but that's what I was told.  I was also told that 2009 was not a supported platform anymore and that they would not try to find out what's wrong or help me figure it out.  So in light of their incredibly helpful customer service, I don't think I'd rely on their answer as being the gospel.

Sorry I couldn't help any more.

Message 4 of 10
lstarbird

Thanks for the reply!  After days of banging my head against the wall, I finally decided to rename the "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoCAD Civil 3D Land Desktop Companion 2009" on a problem workstation to "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoCAD Civil 3D Land Desktop Companion 2009 - ORIG" & copy over my directory & it WORKED!  So this tells me it wasn't anything to do with the video card!

Since it seemed to have something to do with the files, I installed a utility called Beyond Compare & noticed that acad.exe was actually a different version, amounst some other differences.  So, just going step by step, i figured I'd try copying over the acad.exe file ONLY to a problem PC...and WAAALAAAA!!! It worked!!

Autodesk support, although they reiterate that 2009 isn't supported on Windows 7, suggested to turn off UAC & AV & try to install it.  I'm not sure if that did the trick on another brand spanking new PC I tried it on since I also installed it directly from the discs instead of from the deployment I'd been using.  I'll try my deployment on another new PC to confirm if simply replacing acad.exe is all I need to do.

Hope this helps someone! Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 10
nateherman

lstarbird, we have been running LDC 2009 on Win7 64 for over a year.  It is not a perfect install by any means, but is doable.  We've had problems with two .dbx files (AeccLand & AeccvBase), issues that would "seem" to be video card, and publishing issues.  We have two new PCs coming and want to get a clean install of LDC 09 on the new machines. 

What can you suggest?

How do you recommend installing? 

How can the acad.exe file be different?  I wonder if that would fix our current machines.

Where could I get a good acad.exe file?

I have read about using ORCA to modify the ACA.msi and Setup.ini, but i am wondering if it necessary.

Any help is apprecicated.

Thanks,

Nate

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 10
lstarbird
in reply to: nateherman

Hi Nate,

After further tests, I found that doing a clean install from the CDs gave me the best results.  Even though the ACAD.EXE file appears to be the same as one's that I found to be "bad", I had no issues with 3DORBIT.  Additionally, when I attempted to apply service packs in my deployments, they don't seem to update the version number...but it does just fine when I apply SP's individually.  I know that doing a bunch of installs the "long" way would probably be out of the question for larger firms...but we're small enough that its not a huge burden.

So here's my suggestion...

1. Log on as the primary user & ensure they have administrative rights
  2. Install Civil 3D 2009 & LDC from the install DVDs
  3. Apply all C3D & LDC service packs
  4. Give "Everyone" full control to "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoCAD Civil 3D Land Desktop Companion 2009" (or at the very least, give it to the user's account).  Since we're not using C3D yet, I haven't done much with it's folder.  But adjusting these permissions allows me to create/add/remove PC3, CTB & DRV files when setting up local, non-networked printers.
  5. If applicable, apply customized profiles/CUIs.

If you run 3DORBIT & run in the same error after this type of install, let me know.  I can't post the acad.exe file due to the size, so maybe I can send it to you directly.

Best of luck to ya'!

Message 7 of 10
bcollins
in reply to: lstarbird

My setup was a clean install to a new machine directly from the install DVDs, and I had the problem.  I THINK I loaded all the service packs, but I'm not 100% sure.  I'm glad you were able to have some luck getting the install to work correctly.  Hopefully Nate will be able to duplicate your results and not mine.

Message 8 of 10
lstarbird

Hi bcollins,

One thing I noticed from your original post after reading it again is that you modified the shortcut to launch your custom profile.  What I've typically done that's different is kept the original profile name, added a new one, set that as current, imported my custom profile, then renamed it back to the default profile name.  My shortcuts always work then, no matter where a user may launch the program from.  Maybe that's part of the hiccup for ya'?

Message 9 of 10
nateherman
in reply to: lstarbird

The new PC's come in a couple days.  I will let you know how it goes.

I am going to look into modifying the istallation files (through ORCA) more closely as well.

We bought 5 new PC's a year ago.  I ran a clean install on all of these from the install DVDs.  We dont have the 3DORBIT issue, but other issues I mentioned and also a fatal error on start up.  Sometimes LDC 09 starts up fine, other times it can take 4 fatal errors before it starts the session.

I would like to know if your good acad.exe file would help any of our current issues.  Would you mind emailing a copy to me? It would be huge to get LDC running right.

Thanks, Nate

nherman@sathre.com

Message 10 of 10

i install laand desktop 2009 to my windows 8 but the profile menu and cross section are not available

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report