Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grading @ Intersection - Profiles

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
procadman
2920 Views, 22 Replies

Grading @ Intersection - Profiles

I am interested learning how other drafters design and show their design of flat road intersections (0.5%). More specifically, our city wishes to use valley gutters but when we match profiles to the edge of pavement our intersections will create "bird baths" due to the crown shown in our profiles.

All the profiles are completed already so I am struggling with making our drafters redo them (5 miles of roads and countless amount of intersections). I feel the best solution is to start a grade break about 100' down the intersection matching whatever grade the profile has (even on a vertical curve), flattening the pavement along the valley gutter so theirs no crown and do this by showing grade break lines in plan and in the profile, for stations 0-100 show a dimension stating "see plan for grading" and if in a vertical curve "Sta: 0-1+00 for vertical control only".

Opinions?

How does everyone else approach this issue? I've worked for the same company for seven years but generally tend to simply show drainage arrows and let the field kinda figure it out...but this isn't working anymore.

This part isn't the problem though. The part is I need to know if this is standard practice.
- upgrading, still
22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: procadman

It may be beneficial for his practices to stay the way they are in this
case.

But it might help if he knew what was easily/quickly possible, versus just
how long it may take for the CAD Operators to grant him his "results".

--
Don Reichle
"The only thing worse than training your staff, and having them leave is -
not training your staff, and having them stay." 😮
A reminder taken from Graphics Solution Providers' Calendar page
--------------------------------------------------------------------
!! Please discuss whatever we tell you with your SysMgr !!
!! They appreciate staying in the loop 🙂 !!

CivilSeries-2K4
Intel Xeon 3.2GHz 2GB RAM
XPPro 32bit SP2
Nvidia Quadro NVS 285 256MB

"The only Constant is Change".

wrote in message news:5408008@discussion.autodesk.com...
Boss works entirely by hand sketches. I'm not sure he even knows how to
open CAD file.
Message 22 of 23
hellafella

To simplify I actually design city streets with the BOC profile in mind...its poured first anyway.  Therefore on my plan and profile you will lose your side streets cross slope as it enters the main roads intersection, but you don't want to lose your BOC height.  So design your boc profiles to match (alot of times its the same as your cl elevation).  Then in your profile view of the side street show a line at Sta 0+00 to 50 or 100 that starts 6" (curb Height) below the design profile and tapers up to the design profile and label it CL profile...flatten crown to meet edge of road.

Message 23 of 23
hellafella

the key is the contractor building it...on a Plan over profile sheet draw the C/L profile as if was continuing to the intersection without flattening out...because if you flatten it out C3d lowers the gutter as well.... hence the bird bath.

I will simply show the profile as if it wasn't being flattened out...that way your BOC/gutter remains correct...next

just draw a line from back 50 or 100' from the C/l to the flattened (true C/l) height (I assume 6" less) at the gutter with a leader note point to said line stating..flatten c/L to match gutterline of existing street.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report