AutoCAD Land Desktop

shannonpickett
Message 1 of 6 (1,372 Views)

Ditch at constant slope along existing surface

1372 Views, 5 Replies
09-23-2004 03:56 PM
Good Afternoon.

I have a surface and want to create a ditch at a defined and constant slope around the side of a hill. If I select the starting point, can the software create a polyline (or 3D polyline) that follows an existing surface at a defined slope.

Thanks for your help.
Shannon L. Pickett, PE, LS
Contributor
jp1960
Message 2 of 6 (1,372 Views)

Re: Ditch at constant slope along existing surface

09-23-2004 04:59 PM in reply to: shannonpickett
Try using grading objects

Grading>Slope Grading>Grading Wizard.
*Brian Hailey
Message 3 of 6 (1,372 Views)

09-24-2004 07:03 AM in reply to: shannonpickett
Shannon, The only way I know of to do this is manually with circles and contours. If you want a 2% slope, create a 50 circle at the starting point on your highest contour and where it intersects with the contour below, is the path. Next move (or copy) the circle down to that intersection and where it intersects the next contour down, is the path. Continue until done. If you need more accuracy, you could use a smaller contour interval. Brian "shannonpickett" wrote in message news:14229097.1095980210533.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Good Afternoon. > > I have a surface and want to create a ditch at a defined and constant slope around the side of a hill. If I select the starting point, can the software create a polyline (or 3D polyline) that follows an existing surface at a defined slope. > > Thanks for your help. > Shannon L. Pickett, PE, LS
*Nava Ran
Message 4 of 6 (1,372 Views)

09-24-2004 07:33 AM in reply to: shannonpickett
SurvCADD>DTM-Contour Module>3D Polyline Commands>3D Polyline by Slope on Surface. This command creates a 3D polyline at a user-specified slope. The user picks the starting point and then the polyline continues along the surface at the slope until it reaches a point where the maximum slope at the point is less than the design slope. The surface is defined by a grid file (.GRD) which must be created before calling this routine. Applications for this command include designing haul roads or ditches. http://www.carlsonsw.com/dtmcontour.htm Request an evaluation CD and try it for yourself! "shannonpickett" wrote in message news:14229097.1095980210533.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Good Afternoon. > > I have a surface and want to create a ditch at a defined and constant slope around the side of a hill. If I select the starting point, can the software create a polyline (or 3D polyline) that follows an existing surface at a defined slope. > > Thanks for your help. > Shannon L. Pickett, PE, LS
*robert steltman
Message 5 of 6 (1,372 Views)

09-24-2004 08:14 AM in reply to: shannonpickett
There is a routine in Alignment Tools, Alignment by grade from contours, that will create a 3d pline from a starting point and elevation at a grade along user selected contours. Alignment Tools is part of the Road Tools suite of routine that enhances Civil/Design for Road Designers. Download the FREE 30 day fully functioning evaluation version http://www.rsteltman.com/ "shannonpickett" wrote in message news:14229097.1095980210533.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Good Afternoon. > > I have a surface and want to create a ditch at a defined and constant slope around the side of a hill. If I select the starting point, can the software create a polyline (or 3D polyline) that follows an existing surface at a defined slope. > > Thanks for your help. > Shannon L. Pickett, PE, LS
stevedrew
Message 6 of 6 (1,271 Views)

08-22-2012 08:45 AM in reply to: shannonpickett

If I want to draw a 10% slope on 5' contours how do I calculate the circle diameter needed to construct the slope?

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community