Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crashing layers in LDD 3, please help

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
236 Views, 9 Replies

Crashing layers in LDD 3, please help

Well it seems that many of times when I go into the layers dialog box, I crash. Whether I get into via a toolbar button or type in "la", it doesn't matter. Now this doesn't happen everytime and there isn't anything consistent to tell when it will crash. Anyone have any ideas on this? It is very annoying and needs to be fixed. When just doing some editing, I typically use Land enabled map to have 3-4 drawings open. Don't recall if it is specific to that or not. This is on a P4 2.8g with 512mb of ram running LDD 3 SP1. Thanks much for any assistance you folks can provide.
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Recover the DWG. Audit set to fix errors. Purge the DWG. Save. Close. Open. Layer. Does the behavior continue after those steps? -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" Barghausen Consulting Engineers Kent, WA USA LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "cadman_meg" wrote in message news:33446140.1104860566756.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Well it seems that many of times when I go into the layers dialog box, I crash. Whether I get into via a toolbar button or type in "la", it doesn't matter. Now this doesn't happen everytime and there isn't anything consistent to tell when it will crash. Anyone have any ideas on this? It is very annoying and needs to be fixed. When just doing some editing, I typically use Land enabled map to have 3-4 drawings open. Don't recall if it is specific to that or not. This is on a P4 2.8g with 512mb of ram running LDD 3 SP1. Thanks much for any assistance you folks can provide.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

When it crashes, it ask if I would like to save the file as xxxx-recover.dwg. If I know I haven't saved right before that, then I opt for yes and when I open that drawing, it automatically does the audit for me indicating that there were no errors and then proceeds to open up. I then re-save it and continue working and can and do go back into the layers dialog and there is about a 50% chance of whether it would do it or not. So then, yes, it does continue. Any explanation or anything for this anyone? Thanks much.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Hi, Why not use the Land Desktop Layer Manager from the Utilities menu? It is far more powerful than the AutoCAD one and may or may not cause this error. -- Laurie Comerford CADApps www.cadapps.com.au "cadman_meg" wrote in message news:9155478.1104863392921.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > When it crashes, it ask if I would like to save the file as xxxx-recover.dwg. If I know I haven't saved right before that, then I opt for yes and when I open that drawing, it automatically does the audit for me indicating that there were no errors and then proceeds to open up. I then re-save it and continue working and can and do go back into the layers dialog and there is about a 50% chance of whether it would do it or not. So then, yes, it does continue. Any explanation or anything for this anyone? Thanks much.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Now that you have a 50-50 chance of getting into the Layer Properties Manager, are there numerous Named Layer Filters in the Upper Left Window, that are not of your making? As in, you don't care if they get deleted? Yes, I'm going somewhere with this. If things are like I'm imagining, there's a nice freeware tool to delete them all at once, so don't start the individual deletion process just yet. -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" Barghausen Consulting Engineers Kent, WA USA LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "cadman_meg" wrote in message news:9155478.1104863392921.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > When it crashes, it ask if I would like to save the file as xxxx-recover.dwg. If I know I haven't saved right before that, then I opt for yes and when I open that drawing, it automatically does the audit for me indicating that there were no errors and then proceeds to open up. I then re-save it and continue working and can and do go back into the layers dialog and there is about a 50% chance of whether it would do it or not. So then, yes, it does continue. Any explanation or anything for this anyone? Thanks much.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Laurie, I am not always in LDD when this happens, sometimes I am in land enabled map when I want to have several drawings open.

And Don, I think your idea might have worked. See, the new company that I am at liked to use layer filters. I found that I had 60+ layer filters. Nobody needs that many, I don't care what they are doing. I found an awesome program on the web called "purgeids.vlx". Works like a charm and has lots of options. Oh and Don, I thought I was the only "King of "workarounds"!? LOL. Thanks again. Again, hope that did the trick, but have a feeling it did.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Hey cadman; The program I was going to direct you to is attached. It has more uses than just for NLFs. Off-Topic - Would you email me at reichle4@hotmail.com ? Regarding what you wrote below. I live in Auburn, but did not want this going into the thread with my name on it. -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" Barghausen Consulting Engineers Kent, WA USA LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "cadman_meg" wrote in message news:29451367.1104947442670.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Hey Don, I work in the greater Seattle area as well. Used to do a lot of contract work, but now settled for some permanent work with a company in Auburn called DBM Consulting Engineers as Senoir CAD Designer and CAD Manager. Have meet your CAD manager at the LDD meeting at Seattle City Lightr with Brad Hoffman. Has been a while though. You know, I tried getting work with Barg., but they don't get back to folks do they? Or have they just been full? This company is alright, but I see it as an opportunity to get more experience in project management and there is plenty of room for growth. Taking it one day at a time for now. At least trying to. "cadman_meg" wrote in message news:15073267.1104947102883.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Laurie, I am not always in LDD when this happens, sometimes I am in land enabled map when I want to have several drawings open. > > And Don, I think your idea might have worked. See, the new company that I am at liked to use layer filters. I found that I had 60+ layer filters. Nobody needs that many, I don't care what they are doing. I found an awesome program on the web called "purgeids.vlx". Works like a charm and has lots of options. Oh and Don, I thought I was the only "King of "workarounds"!? LOL. Thanks again. Again, hope that did the trick, but have a feeling it did.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

For the previous post with 1MB attachment: Sorry folks. That will teach me to look up at the attachment size when Details is turned off in the Attach File dialog box. -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" Barghausen Consulting Engineers Kent, WA USA LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:41dc2e02_3@newsprd01... > Hey cadman; > > The program I was going to direct you to is attached. It has more uses than > just for NLFs. > > Off-Topic - Would you email me at reichle4@hotmail.com ? Regarding what you > wrote below. I live in Auburn, but did not want this going into the thread > with my name on it. > > -- > Don Reichle > "King Of Work-Arounds" > Barghausen Consulting Engineers > Kent, WA USA > LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 > On WIN2K SP4 > Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 > 512MB RAM > NVIDIA 32MB AGP > > "cadman_meg" wrote in message > news:29451367.1104947442670.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > Hey Don, I work in the greater Seattle area as well. Used to do a lot of > contract work, but now settled for some permanent work with a company in > Auburn called DBM Consulting Engineers as Senoir CAD Designer and CAD > Manager. Have meet your CAD manager at the LDD meeting at Seattle City > Lightr with Brad Hoffman. Has been a while though. You know, I tried getting > work with Barg., but they don't get back to folks do they? Or have they just > been full? This company is alright, but I see it as an opportunity to get > more experience in project management and there is plenty of room for > growth. Taking it one day at a time for now. At least trying to. > > "cadman_meg" wrote in message > news:15073267.1104947102883.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > Laurie, I am not always in LDD when this happens, sometimes I am in land > enabled map when I want to have several drawings open. > > > > And Don, I think your idea might have worked. See, the new company that I > am at liked to use layer filters. I found that I had 60+ layer filters. > Nobody needs that many, I don't care what they are doing. I found an awesome > program on the web called "purgeids.vlx". Works like a charm and has lots of > options. Oh and Don, I thought I was the only "King of "workarounds"!? LOL. > Thanks again. Again, hope that did the trick, but have a feeling it did. > > >
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Don - The attachment rules changed a while back. From the guidelines at http://discussion.autodesk.com/ground.jspa <> So 1MB files are allowed but as a courtesy using a files download area like Customer Files is "a good thing". Not all of the discussion group users have access to high speed lines, many still being on phone modem. -- --- Anne Brown Discussion Groups Administrator Autodesk, Inc. Don Reichle wrote: > > For the previous post with 1MB attachment: > Sorry folks. > > That will teach me to look up at the attachment size when Details is turned > off in the Attach File dialog box. > > -- > Don Reichle
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Hey Anne; Thanks for the reminder. You informed me of this about two months back, but the Senior Moments haven't stolen it yet. :-) I was looking at the total size as reported by OE (1294KB). -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" Barghausen Consulting Engineers Kent, WA USA LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "Anne Brown" wrote in message news:41DC4C9B.631E5FCC@autodesk.com... > Don - > > The attachment rules changed a while back. From the guidelines at > http://discussion.autodesk.com/ground.jspa > > < All Autodesk Discussion Groups allow attachments. Some file types > are restricted. You are allowed only one attachment per post. We > encourage you to make your attachments as small as possible, and > enforce a 1 MB limit. >> > > So 1MB files are allowed but as a courtesy using a files download > area like Customer Files is "a good thing". Not all of the > discussion group users have access to high speed lines, many > still being on phone modem. > > -- > --- > Anne Brown > Discussion Groups Administrator > Autodesk, Inc. > > > Don Reichle wrote: > > > > For the previous post with 1MB attachment: > > Sorry folks. > > > > That will teach me to look up at the attachment size when Details is turned > > off in the Attach File dialog box. > > > > -- > > Don Reichle

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report