Did you mean: 

Can't open drawing through windows explorer

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
1Dynomike
6152 Views, 1 Reply

Can't open drawing through windows explorer

Alright everybody, got one for ya. So, the boss has developed the habit of opening drawings through windows explorer. I know, I know and I've expressed my disapproval also, however that's his thing and he signs the checks. Things use to run smoothly until last week he double clicked a drawing file and nothing happened. He could (can) grab the drawing file and drag it to the LDT 04 icon and drop and all will open correctly. Now, when he double clicks a dwg file he gets the houglass, a machine freeze for bout 3min then nothing. During this hang time, if you check the task manager, it shows explorer 'Not Responding'. I right clicked a dwg, clicked 'Open With' and chose Acad and clicked the always use this to open this type of file box hoping somehow windows had just 'forgotten' what to do with this file. I got the hour glass, 3min wait, then acad open the dwg. To check for a change I double clicked another dwg after closing that one and just got the hourglass-hangtime with no acad opening again. Sooo, aside from trying to get him to change, anyone have any ideas how to correct this? Thanks guys. Looking forward to hearing what Y'all have to say.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
westolliver
in reply to: 1Dynomike

You have to set the AutoCAD DWG Launcher as default, not acad.exe. Here's a walkthrough:

In windows explorer, click tools menu, folder options, click file types. In the registered file types list, select DWG AutoCAD Drawing, and then click advanced, then open, then edit, enter "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\AcShellEx\AcLauncher.exe" /O "%1" (or browse and find AcLauncher) and click OK

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report