Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

convert a dwg/dxf file to vector art format?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
madcowscarnival
114942 Views, 11 Replies

convert a dwg/dxf file to vector art format?

Is it possible to convert a dwg/dxf file to a vector art format?  I reproduced a family crest in LT, and my Father wants to have it embroidered on a shirt.  The graphics company that will be doing the work has asked if I can convert it to the format they use.  Is this possible, or am I trying to go from apples to oranges?  Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Message 3 of 12

Save dwg as dxf, download Inscape (free open source vector art programme http://inkscape.org/). Open dxf in Inkscape and save as required vector file.

Should do the trick!

Message 4 of 12
Sponz
in reply to: madcowscarnival

I do this all the time.  The trick is to create closed, fillable regions where ever you want to apply a fill color in your vector art program.  This can easily be done by adding BHatch to these areas with retain polyline turned on in the preferences and then deleting the hatch pattern.  It is best to do this all on a new layer and then freezing all other layers after you make all of your fillable regions.  Once this is done you can export it as a dxf and when you open it in the vector program, I use CorelDraw, you can select the shapes and apply fills.    Attached is an example of an elevation done in AutoCad and colored in CorelDraw.

Message 5 of 12

I do it differently than previous replies. I use PDF995 to create a pdf of the autocad layout. Then I import the pdf into a vector graphic program ( I use Xara). I then render the imported pdf using the vector drawings tools. I get very nice results, simply 🙂
Message 6 of 12

Message 7 of 12

Hi Charles, Here is a small sample of a floor plan.

Message 8 of 12
johnney98
in reply to: madcowscarnival

Export>Other format> save as .wmf file

Now insert this .wmf file in any other program and you will get a vector art of your image.

Message 9 of 12
ian1196
in reply to: johnney98

The examples in this thread are terrible.

Message 10 of 12
pendean
in reply to: ian1196

Go test then purchase a high quality raster-to-vector software that meets your expectations: that's the better approach. There are dozens out there.
Message 11 of 12
vilaubi57
in reply to: Rhami_Jacob

I tried this for a T shirt company from a file I created from autocad to dxf then inkscape save as esp and he says in adobe illustrator he is getting nothing coming across and I did notice that the file is only 3kb. any thoughts?

Message 12 of 12
adammitchsmith
in reply to: vilaubi57

Did you ever find a fix?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost