Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

-insert using Blockname

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
ChuckEdwards
1479 Views, 4 Replies

-insert using Blockname

Has anyone used the command -insert -blockname = filename successfully?

What I have tried is:

^C^C_-insert;"Insulation - 25-50mm"="K:/All Staff Personal Folders/Personal_Charles Edwards/Autocad/Blocks/Detail Blocks/Insulation - 25-50mm.dwg";

Trying to run this I get:

Command: _-insert
Enter block name or [?]: Blockname="K:/All
""K:/All.dwg": Invalid file name.
*Invalid*

Any thoughts on where I'm going wrong on syntax?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Macro's are nothing more than what you can type at the Command Line.

When you type your path at the Command Line where does it fail? (hint the = sign. Smiley Wink)

This is the same place it is failing in the Macro.

Here's a long example:

^C^C-la;_make;BP; -insert C:/Blocks/Dynamic/Dyn_Pl-bp.dwg \;;\_draworder;last;;B

(Excuse the lack of semicolons Dean)

Message 3 of 5
pendean
in reply to: Charles_Shade

tsk! tsk!

Message 4 of 5
pendean
in reply to: ChuckEdwards

Since you are replacing blocks with the same exact name, why not follow the other rule about block replacement? From HELP:

"Updating a Block Definition: If you make changes to a block file that is inserted in your drawing and you want to change the existing block definition without creating a new block insertion, enter the following at the Specify Insertion Point prompt (following the Enter Block Name prompt):
block name=
If you enter = after the block name, the following prompt is displayed:
Block "current" already exists. Redefine it? [Yes/No] <No>: Enter y, enter n, or press Enter
If you choose to redefine the block, the existing block definition is replaced with the new block definition. The drawing is regenerated, and the new definition is applied to all existing insertions of the block definition. Press Esc when prompted for the insertion point if you do not want to insert a new block into the drawing."

Just ensure that path that points to the new block location is in LT's search path (OPTIONS' FILES tab, top entry): if it's not there now, you might have to restart LT after you put it there.

Message 5 of 5
ChuckEdwards
in reply to: pendean

Thanks Dean,

Now makes sense where I'm going wrong, taking the blockname=filename to be a single statement and not with prompts needing to be dealt with midway.

Charles.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost