Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change distance display style?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
gmazzei
7217 Views, 10 Replies

change distance display style?

is there a way to change the way distance is measured in a drawing from fractional to decimal? I get drawings that always display dimensions in fractions and being an engineer not a carpenter I need dimensions to be decimal so I am not forced to look up what the decimal equivalent of a fraction is all the time. I am amazed that AC doesn't force me to input dimensions as fractions on these drawings.

This is another one of those options that appears to be hidden but should be available in a real page setup option or in the options. Unlike the current page setup which seems to be a print setup instead. I love hidden options, like when I made the mistake of changing the default fractional style that I am now stuck with. I love being caught between 2 bad options. Either I have to put up with being asked constantly if I want to change how fractions are displayed or I can't change the default ever again.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: gmazzei

Unless I'm missing something: Type "units" at the command line. All options within the dialog box that pops up. If this is what you want it would be easy enough to create a macro (or even a script that would load automatically when you start AC) to do this for you. C^C^_-units;2;4;1;4;;; this is the command line version pasted from my acad (info and steps used to create the macro) the ";" is treated as an "enter" Command: -units Report formats: (Examples) 1. Scientific 1.55E+01 2. Decimal 15.50 3. Engineering 1'-3.50" 4. Architectural 1'-3 1/2" 5. Fractional 15 1/2 With the exception of Engineering and Architectural formats, these formats can be used with any basic unit of measurement. For example, Decimal mode is perfect for metric units as well as decimal English units. Enter choice, 1 to 5 <4>: 2 Enter number of digits to right of decimal point (0 to 😎 <4>: Systems of angle measure: (Examples) 1. Decimal degrees 45.0000 2. Degrees/minutes/seconds 45d0'0" 3. Grads 50.0000g 4. Radians 0.7854r 5. Surveyor's units N 45d0'0" E Enter choice, 1 to 5 <1>: 1 Enter number of fractional places for display of angles (0 to 😎 <2>: Direction for angle 0.00: East 3 o'clock = 0.00 North 12 o'clock = 90.00 West 9 o'clock = 180.00 South 6 o'clock = 270.00 Enter direction for angle 0.00 <0.00>: Measure angles clockwise? [Yes/No] If you can type it - you can macro it Matt "gmazzei" wrote in message news:10613193.1096551073746.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > is there a way to change the way distance is measured in a drawing from > fractional to decimal? I get drawings that always display dimensions in > fractions and being an engineer not a carpenter I need dimensions to be > decimal so I am not forced to look up what the decimal equivalent of a > fraction is all the time. I am amazed that AC doesn't force me to input > dimensions as fractions on these drawings. > > This is another one of those options that appears to be hidden but should > be available in a real page setup option or in the options. Unlike the > current page setup which seems to be a print setup instead. I love hidden > options, like when I made the mistake of changing the default fractional > style that I am now stuck with. I love being caught between 2 bad options. > Either I have to put up with being asked constantly if I want to change > how fractions are displayed or I can't change the default ever again.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

UNITS command to change the units to decimal. Then DDIM command>Modify button to change the current dimension style Primary Units tab to decimal: update dimensions afterwards. This is core basic AutoCAD stuff: consider refreshing your knowledge by diving into HELP in AutoCAD, a good basic LT book, or consider a refresher course at your local community or technical school. May well relieve the frustrations noted in your post ;) -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 4 of 11
gmazzei

thanks, units is what I was looking for. It should be in options with all the rest of the options.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Everything is an option in AutoCAD. Where would you stop? -- Dave Byrnes / Vancouver, BC Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator "gmazzei" wrote in message news:27009000.1096892858567.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > thanks, units is what I was looking for. It should be in options with all the rest of the options.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

Actually, it is; as long as it has not been previously set. Point is - in the drawings you are going into, it is set by somebody. Matt "gmazzei" wrote in message news:27009000.1096892858567.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > thanks, units is what I was looking for. It should be in options with all > the rest of the options.
Message 7 of 11
gmazzei

Stop? I would START by putting all page setup options in a real page setup option window. AutoCAD 2004 and earlier doesn't have a true page setup options window that I know of, it is a print setup that you can't even apply. I would START by putting ALL options in the option dialog, like the units options. I don't even understand your statement that everything in autoCAD is an option. That sounds like one of those generalizations that doesn't really apply to the subject. Like how long to make a line when you draw it is an option but is that the kind of option I am talking about? I see no logical reason that the units command dialog needs to be a separate entity.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

AutoCAD does not work in 'pages'. Never has, never will. I'm very confident more training would probably solve a lot of your angst. AutoCAD requires pre-planning and initial setup to work as you need: templates, customized toolbars and more. It's meant to be an open platform for you to customize. Plain AutoCAD and LT are not industry specific, what you need is not necessarily what I need. Explore HELP>Contents Tab>User's Guide>Start/Organize/Save a Drawing and other chapters. Templates, startup wizard (in full version AutoCAD and ADT for example) do plenty, and more. Remember, LT is not full AutoCAD or LDD or ADT and does not have all the convenience features you seek. Convenience costs money: you live in the real world with the rest of us, you know that just buying anything in life. If you want or need that level of built-in ability, explore specialized versions of AutoCAD (similar from other vendors too), or cheaper friendlier offerings like Autodesk's own AutoSketch (or Microsoft's Visio and others) that draws in pages and offers the page-setup you need. -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

I think that would really mess up the majority of AutoCAD users -- i.e., those who earn their living with it and have been with the program for many years. As Dean suggests, a training course or a good tutorial book can help unravel some of the mysteries of AutoCAD. -- Dave Byrnes / Vancouver, BC Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator "gmazzei" wrote in message news:29332079.1096990937259.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Stop? I would START by putting all page setup options in a real page setup option window. AutoCAD 2004 and earlier doesn't have a true page setup options window that I know of, it is a print setup that you can't even apply. I would START by putting ALL options in the option dialog, like the units options. I don't even understand your statement that everything in autoCAD is an option. That sounds like one of those generalizations that doesn't really apply to the subject. Like how long to make a line when you draw it is an option but is that the kind of option I am talking about? I see no logical reason that the units command dialog needs to be a separate entity.
Message 10 of 11
eorozco.diaz

Hi, I'm a new AC LT user and I can't find where can I change  dimensions, I want to see everything in meters when I measure something.  Anything I've tried, I always get feets...!!  In the last AC version, that wasn't a problem, I could jump from Meters to feet, inches etc.  but now I can't !!

Message 11 of 11
Xuabo

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost