Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xref layers disappearing in both model and layouts

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
john
1743 Views, 3 Replies

Xref layers disappearing in both model and layouts

I've been experiencing an odd problem with Xref's lately in AutoCAD 2006LT.  I noticed that some of the layers in my viewports are missing.  I have unloaded the xref, purged the drawing and reloaded the xref and each time it comes back up missing the majority of the layers in the external reference.  I've checked to make sure that there are no xref's associated with the xref file to ensure that it's not an issue with a sub xref as well.  I have downloaded a trial copy of 2013 and it mentions unreconciled layers and shows all layers in the view ports.  In my troubleshooting I've checked for frozen layers, layers turned off, the location of Xref'ed files, ensured that no xref’s are on frozen or turned off layers and several other possible problems. 

What seems strange to me is that I can see a few layers but not all layers associated with the xref in AutoCAD 2006LT.  I've also checked to make sure that the layers are not frozen in the viewport as well.  I use that feature often and depend on it for the drawing that I do. 

If I start a drawing from scratch or go back several generations I can see all the layers just fine.  It only seems to affect the latest generation of this current projects files. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pendean
in reply to: john

Are the layers in question simply turned off inside the viewport? You can do that totally independently from Modelspace layer settings. LAYER command wile inside the viewport should reveal extra rows that address only VP settings to the right of the pop-up.

Message 3 of 4
john
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the quick reply.  The layers for the xref'ed drawing are on in the viewport, the model and the layout.  In fact a fair number of the layer names are missing from the layer schedule altogether.  I've double checked the Xref locations and as I mentioned have unloaded and unreferenced the drawing purged the saved working drawing file and reloaded the xref with the same results.  

What was interesting was that in trial version of AutoCAD2013 the layers returned and there was a note that mentioned they were unreconciled layers.  I assume that there is a different audit mechanism with 2013 that found the unreconciled layers and has the ability to bring them back into the drawing.  

Thanks again for any help,

John 

Message 4 of 4
pendean
in reply to: john

I don't recall if the old LT version handled unreconciled layers or not: start that version's HELP and see what it says about it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost