Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which AutoCAD version?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
dottorepc
793 Views, 8 Replies

Which AutoCAD version?

We would like to use AutoCAD to design site plans, mainly 2D design. I think LT version is enough. Am I right? Also I think older version (2009, 2011) could be better, because lighter, faster etc. On the site I can see only 2013 LT to buy for around 1700 euros.

Questions:

1. Can I buy older ones for smaller price or I could stay with this new?

2. For basic graphical 2D needs LT version will be fine, won't be?

3. If in the future we need more functions could we upgrade to normal version for an upgrade price?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Charles_Shade
in reply to: dottorepc

1. Check Amazon for older versions of the software. You may have luck there.

2. Download a Free trail of LT 2013 to find out if it will meet your needs. No cost, just knowledge.

1, 3. Upgrade price would only be available within the three year window. 2009 would qualify for 2013 software. But what would be the point, if you can find, buying three year old software just to spend 50% again in 8 months?

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 3 of 9
dottorepc
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Good point. We should try it before buy. Actually we tried 2009LT and it was enough. We would like to buy it, also 2009 could be good, but I have not found it. No, I found but on a software download site. Maybe a pirated software seller (no media, no support, no upgrade, but the price is unbeatable:)). I will check on Amazon.

Sometimes the newer is not the better. I mean there are many unused feature but the apps are more and more heavy. We will see. I understand the 3 years window limit. It is worthy to get the newest.

Message 4 of 9
Charles_Shade

The next question would be can your computer execute the 2013 capably?

You may find it can't and therefore an older version would be better.

I do think you will have trouble finding one though as you have indicated.

Message 5 of 9
Bob_Zurunkle

OP there are some competitors out there, notably the ones powered by IntelliCAD. They are low cost, and some now give you the choice of Ribbon or no Ribbon. For around $400 USD you could even get ones with 3D capability. However, sometimes autodesk has special pricing on LT and other products. check on this site or with your reseller. LT you can usually pick up in a big box store too...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 6 of 9
dottorepc
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I know. Also we would like to buy two new laptops. I do not know what is more important? CPU? RAM? Video card? I saw some i7 config (3610QM) with 8G RAM and NVIDIA Quadro but they are very expensive. For AC2013 LT version do I need Quadro K1000M or enough a GeForce GT650M (half price)?

Sorry this is not so strict to the original question, but for me it is also very important...

Message 7 of 9
dottorepc
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

I do not know. I am only the one who will install the program. I am not a CAD expert. For my client is very important this program to be AutoCAD format compatible, as it is. Maybe they do not want to learn how to use another interface.

Although the AutoCAD 2013 LT version costs Euro 1765,5. That is a huge amount of money I think. They can change their minds.:)

Message 8 of 9
Charles_Shade

I'm not one to guide you on Hardware. There is a Hardware Forum that you can peruse and ask those questions.

I've recently had a desktop built by shop in Georgia called Practical Solutions. The owner, Brian Adams, is good to deal with and fairly priced. The machine screams.

Win 7 Ultimate, i5 @ 3.4Ghz, 16gig RAM, Nvdia GTX560

Message 9 of 9
pendean

design site plans? elaborate: if you just want to draw a bunch of meaningless lines and add unconnected notes and labels, any variant of AutoCAD (including LT) will do. If you want to tie intelligence to all the objects you draw, explore AutoCAD CIVIL 3D (yes, you can still draw in 2D but the world is not flat...) or AutoCAD MAP 3D which are designed to do it better.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost