Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewport Scale

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1175 Views, 6 Replies

Viewport Scale

I'm running AutoCAD LT 2012.  After creating a viewport, I've noticed that the drawings are appearing and plotting at a much larger scale than that which I've selected.  For example, when I select a VP scale of 1:50, the drawing reflects a larger scale of 1:4.17, which is off by a factor of 12.  This obvioulsy informs me that there is some dimensional setting that I need to correct between feet and inches, but I'm not sure what this setting is, or where to find it.  In my drawing, I am creating everything in inches.  For example, when my units are set to decimal, I draw a line that is 65 units long.  After changing the units to architectural, the line measures 5' 5".  Both correctly depict that which I want to create.  I can edit the scale properties (select the VP, go to the list of scales, click on custom, which brings up an "Edit Drawing Scales" window, click on 1:50, click edit) so that 1:50 displays 1 paper units = 600 drawing units (instead of 50 drawings units), but that's only getting around the issue, not really solving it.  I'm fairly knowledgeable in CAD, having used versions of Land Desktop for prior years, but have never encountered this issue.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

So the problem is one file, or ALL files?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

I've tried the process with a few different drawings and thus far it seems to be common to them all.

Message 4 of 7
pendean

Can you share a sample file with the problem? delete what is sensitive, but leave enough there plus add notes so we can see the issue and try to replicate it in your file.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Sure, I've attached a file.  Thanks.  I'm using an 11" x 17" sheet size.

Message 6 of 7
pendean

See attached: your thoughts?

One viewport is at 1"=60", the other is at 1"=60' (each is labelled accordingly): I wonder if the issue you experience is that, 60" (5') vs. 60'.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

That's my mistake.  I created the example from a recent drawing.  I had edited each viewport from "1 paper unit equals 60 drawing units" to "1 paper units equals 720 drawings units," so that my scales would show up at 1 inch = 60 feet.  I simply forgot to change the smaller one back (or delete it) before posting the example.  It's also worth noting that, when editing the scales, you have to click on the VP, edit the scale, hit ok, then click on the VP again and reselect the same scale, now that it's been edited.  The VP doesn't automatically update after you edit its scale.  

From the default list of scales, two of the options are 1" = 1' and 1:1.  Toggling between the two does not change anything, so I assumed that the 1:1 scale was the same ratio of 1 inch equals 1 foot, and that the remaining 1:20, 1:60, etc would follow the same ratio / format of x inches = x feet.  However, perhaps this is not the case, and the default scales of that nature are indeed unit:unit and not inch:foot, as I assumed, and thereby there is an AutoCAD programming error with 1" = 1' and / or 1:1.

As I described in my initial post (and in the first paragraph above), I had gotten around the issue by editing the scale, but did not want to have to do this for every scale, every drawing, every time.  I hoped there was a master setting I could change that would note my scaling issue of a factor of 12 and correct it everywhere going forward.

Hopefully that all made sense, as it may very well be somewhat confusing without actually speaking and simultaneously viewing the same example.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost