Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to save to drawing as it is being accessed by another session

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
cvcomputers
9380 Views, 4 Replies

Unable to save to drawing as it is being accessed by another session

Randomly, a few times a week, I get an error in AutoCAD LT 2012 when trying to save a dwg file. It says "Unable to save to drawing {filename} as it is being accessed by another session. Drawing saved to {filename}.tmp." The file then turns into Read Only and says "Drawing file is write protected." We have to do a Save As to a different filename in order to regain functionality. Any help?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
hwalker
in reply to: cvcomputers

Look for files on your system which have the same name as your drawings, but have .DWL and .DWL2 extensions.

These are the drawing lock files which tell Autocad that drawing is being used. Delete them and you should be able to save your files again

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 5
pendean

In addition to the tip above... next time it happens, type WHOHAS and seek out the file: does LT report you or someone else having the file open?

Is this a recent issue for you? Did it start with LT2012, or was it present before hand?

Another causes may be:

• Connection loss between your PC and where the file is stored. This could be anything from a bad wire from your desk to the wall or just volume of traffic tapping your office server (assuming the files are not on your PC of course).
  • LT hanging a little too long just before the save and catching itself actually double-tapping the one file. A common fix is to wait a minute and re-attempt the SAVE. Seems to happen with LT2012 here more frequently than earlier versions on Win7 64bit PCs.
Message 4 of 5
cvcomputers
in reply to: pendean

Thank you, I will try those things. The drawing files are stored on a server and I have a constant ping test going to the workstation - 0% loss after almost 24 hours but I will wait until the error happens again and check it as well as the fixes mentioned. Thanks so much!

Message 5 of 5
cvcomputers

The problem has not been happening since a power surge took out their gigabit switch and we replaced it. Maybe wiring/switch problem the whole time? Thanks so much for the responses.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost