Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trim and extend commands on right click menu in AutoCad LT 2014

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
bhdavis
3347 Views, 10 Replies

Trim and extend commands on right click menu in AutoCad LT 2014

I'm just upgrading from LT 2008 to LT 2014.  Everything seems to be up and running properly.

With LT 2008 I have the TRIM and EXTEND commands listed on my right click pop-up menu.  I imported my custom setting from 2008 to 2014 and the commands are still there.

However when you select them nothing happens. 

This was also an issue in LT 2008.  However it was solved by editing the aclt.mns file and putting a [space] in front of the semi-colan at the end of the TRIM and EXTEND comnmand lineS.

I'm not fnding an aclt.mns file in my LT 2014 installation. I've looked in the typical places and a search of the entire HDD does not find anything.  That of course doesn't mean it's not there.

Windows 8 64-bit

Can someone give me some guidance on this?

Thanks,

BH Davis

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
pendean
in reply to: bhdavis

MNS died a long time ago: with LT2014 open, start CUI command and fix your imported items.
Here is a series of free tutorials to catch up with the new tools: http://www.cad-notes.com/exploring-autocad-cui-introduction-1/
Message 3 of 11
bhdavis

Thanks.  It had been a while since I last did an install.  I thought 2008 had both CUI and mnu/mns files.  With your prodding I now remember it's only CUI.

It appears the import of the 2008 CUI file into 2014 somehow brought in corrupted TRIM and EXTEND commands.  Three of each show in the tools list in the CUI.  The first 2 don't do anything when put in the menu but the third one works fine.  Should I delete the 2 of each that don't do anything when loaded in the default right click menu?

Also in the past the SELECT ALL option has been automatically selected whenever I use TRIM or EXTEND.  I can't find my notes for how I accompished that with the CUI system.  Any guidance here?

Thanks,

BH

Message 4 of 11
pendean

Watch the command line, it tells you what you need to know: Hit <enter> an extra time to have everything on screen selected after launching TRIM or EXTEND.

Hols SHIFT key down while in TRIM or EXTEND command and the other command is triggered. Those two commands are special and tied together like that.

You probably messed up 2014 by importing from such an older version: reset 2014 and go through the CUI tutorials I linked to and explore how to move around commands already in 2014.
Message 5 of 11
bhdavis

Much appreciate. 

What I'm trying to explain on the TRIM and EXTEND commands is that on 2008 with the CUI setup those 2 commands default to the SELECT ALL without my having to use the command line choices.  Somewhere along the way I had found a way to make them do that.  It saves an extra key stroke.

Thanks,

BH

Message 6 of 11
pendean

I answered your question already: are you not understanding that TRIM <enter> <enter> selects eveything on screen to trim, and that that same is true for EXTEND command?
And that you can code it like that in your macro in CUI?

I don't understand where the challenge is, forgive me: do you not understand how to code it in CUI? Are you not aware that a semi-colon is <enter> in a macro?
^C^C_TRIM;:
^C^C_EXTEND;;

Did you go through the tutorials I linked you to? Do you understand the basics of writing macros? Do explain if you don't, you seem lost for someone claiming to be a user since LT2008 and we can help point you to where to can help yourself, it's the only way to learn IMHO.

Message 7 of 11
bhdavis
in reply to: pendean

Please don't think I don't appreciate your time and offering help on this forum.

I am not totally unfamiliar with working with the .cui file.  However when one does it only a few times a year it is difficult to retain all the details.

Here is what I have in CUI, SHORTCUT MENUS, DEFAULT for the TRIM command:

^C^C_trim ;;

And these are the results I get when trying to use the TRIM command from the shortcut menu.  I hit TRIM and in the command line get:

Command: _trim
Current settings: Projection=UCS, Edge=None
Select cutting edges ...
Select objects or <select all>:
Select object to trim or shift-select to extend or
[Fence/Crossing/Project/Edge/eRase/Undo]:

Type a command:

In other words after hitting TRIM in the shortcut menu the program is going right back to the TYPE A COMMAND line without giving me the  chance to select anything.

If I remove the double semi-colan then TRIM works from the shortcut menu but without the double <enter> select all feature.

I hope that explains the situation more clearly.

Thanks,

BH

Message 8 of 11
pendean

OK, so you don't understand macro coding, not a problem: spaces count as <enter> too, so your macro has at least three <enter> and not just two.

No such spaces in the macros I typed in my last reply. Easy fix. For what you are doing, you can't missing things in macro writing.

Message 9 of 11
bhdavis

Yes......thank you.  I did not know spaces count as <enter>.  I'm very experienced in macro writing in Excel...........AutoCAD is a different issue.

Eliminating the space before the double semi-colan did the trick.....as did eliminating one semi-colan in a test.

What's weird is that it worked fine in LT2008 with the space before the double semi-colan.

Thanks for your patience and help.

BH Davis

Message 10 of 11
j.holewski
in reply to: pendean

dean! as your the master.....

i want to make a "corner trim" command

command- fillet

trim/no trim - trim

radius -  0

^C^C_fillet;r;0;

this is what i come up with it doesnt work as expected.

i expected that to take me to the stage where im selecting the two lines

when i run the macro

i have to give it another "enter" for the command to run

what gives???

Message 11 of 11
pendean
in reply to: j.holewski

At the commandline, type out your macro, does it expect you to do more at the same point?
_fillet
<enter>
R
<enter>
<enter>

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost