Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Table to tabel information sharing

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
max.reiber
655 Views, 14 Replies

Table to tabel information sharing

Say I had two tables located within AutoCAD, can I make it to where if I put data in one cell of one of the tables that it could automatically populate in a different cell in the other table? Also if this can be done, could it be done linking the data in-between separate layouts?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Charles_Shade
in reply to: max.reiber

Can you add a Field to the Table that will read a Cell in the other Table?

No really, I'm asking.

Message 3 of 15
max.reiber
in reply to: Charles_Shade

That was one of the first things I was looking for, but unless its pretty cut and dry I couldn't find a field for a table cell reference.

Message 4 of 15
pendean

FIELD command requires a predefined object, not one yet to be entered. See if that helps.
Message 5 of 15
max.reiber
in reply to: pendean

I am not specifically looking for a field command to accomplish this, I just want to know if possible, when I enter information in one table to have the information automatically transferred to another table located in the same drawing file. I don't know if this can be accomplished using a data link (something I am not very familiar with) or something else I am not seeing when trying to set this up. For example, I have separate layouts in my drawings where my title block is located, and I am currently using a table for revision notes, I would like to have it to where when I update my revision table on the title page of my drawing it will automatically update the tables on my other layouts rather than have to manually change them, copy them from layout to layout, or use any un-needed viewports. I know you can link this data to an excel file, so rather than do that why can't I link two tables within the same drawing?

Message 6 of 15
pendean

You mean your single project titleblock is NOT referenced in but are actual standalone copies in each and every layout in your DWG file? Now that's the hard way to do it.
May I ask why you don't XREF (and thereby only edit) one single titleblock for a project DWG(s) file?
Message 7 of 15
max.reiber

How would I go about xrefrencing a two tables within the same drawing? This is what a solution I am trying to get to, I want to be able to update one table and have it update everywhere in a drawing.

Message 8 of 15
max.reiber

Also, is it possible to link a table to an excel sheet so when I update information on a drawing, it will update the excel sheet. I know this can be done vice versa.
Message 9 of 15
pendean

1. I did not realize it was two non-identical tables, hard to tell from your various descriptions.

2. Start HELP in LT and look up a document titled
"Link a Table to External Data".
Message 10 of 15
max.reiber

The tables are revision note tables located on separate layouts, when I have a drawing set it can sometimes get up to 30 layouts with a title bar that has the revision notes table. The way I have been doing it is I will change the revision table on my title page and then copy with a basepoint and go through and paste every table on the following layouts. I would like to stay away from creating a viewport and was wondering if it would be possible to change my one revision table on my title page and have all the following layout revision tables be referenced to the main one so it will automatically update all tables. If possible there are some other applications I could use this solution for as well. If there is a way of doing this, could you point me in the right direction. If needed I can upload my template drawing as an example of the revision tables on separate layouts. Also, when it comes to doing a data link with an excel spreadsheet I only have an option to download from source option, no upload feature is on my version (AutoCAD LT 2013), I remember being able to do it in earlier versions.

Message 11 of 15
pendean

TABLEEXPORT command is still around to get youtr AutoCAD table content out to be able to create an Excel table. Then you link back into AutoCAD.
Nothing has changed between versions, so you must be skipping a step somewhere.

The #1 drafting mistake is to have the same editable information located in more than one spot on a set or drawings. That's is what you are doing sadly:
".. I have been doing ... change the revision table... then copy with a basepoint and go through and paste every table on the following layouts...". Ouch!

Info located in one spot, edited only once, you make it show up in all other locations either with a viewport in layouts of by XREFing in the table (or entire titleblock) but keeing it as an external file so you can only edit it once.

I can't do the work for you or develop the system for you: you're going to have to experiment and determine what works best for your workflow and project workload needs. I will gladly share ideas for you to try.

But you sure don't want to continue doing what you do now, there is a disaster waiting to happen if it's not happened yet.

Start experimenting, post back if you are getting stuck somewhere along the way.

Message 12 of 15
max.reiber

I am stuck, I want to know how to xref a table on one layout to another as there seems to be no credible information on how to do this in the wonderful help section, if there is I am not finding it. I can go around in circles all day having you tell me what I am doing isn't a good idea, hints the reason for this entire section as I AM STUCK and DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET IT TO WHERE I UPDATE ONE TABLE AND IT AUTOMATICALLY UPDATES OTHER TABLES WITHIN A DRAWING.  If I knew where to find this information I would have never consulted this forum, but I did so obviously I don't know how to do it. Let me reiterate that I came to this forum looking for a solution of which I have yet to get, if you know how to xref a table within the same drawing please provide a solution, not ideas.

Message 13 of 15
pendean

Post your sample DWG file, point to items that are common etc. and add a lot of notes for someone to follow your need.
Message 14 of 15
max.reiber

See attached drawing, the concept isn't that difficult to grasp. I have two layouts, the same revision table on both and I want to only type my information into one and have it be portrayed in my other layouts. I only want to have to change one revision table and have it update all my revision tables associated with my drawing.

Message 15 of 15
sthompson1021

Hi, to do what you want to do, you need to have the tables in all layouts linked to the same excel table and do your changes in excel. Once you link the first table, you can copy that one to the other layouts and the link will go with it. If it was me, I would turn your table into a block and and just use the block editor to update.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost