Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I document my blocks?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
AcadAdamLT
457 Views, 5 Replies

Should I document my blocks?

As topic implies, should I write down the constuction of my work into documentation.

I'am fairly new to autocad but have a burning passion for it and I like creativy.

Been working on a toolbox for my work which involves alot of different tools and handy things that I can use when I work.

All these things are connected throughout blocks and layers.

Snce I've been doing this everyday since I started I don't have a problem keeping everything in my head. But what happens if I don't work with it for a few month and then decide to modify something.

Is it easy to remember a construction or should I take the time to documentate everything I've done?

Since I'm new to "this world" I would like some advices from more experienced users.

Any oppinions?

Thanks!

/Adam

Signature, sincerely... //Adam
AutoCad LT 2016
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Charles_Shade
in reply to: AcadAdamLT

Since you have been working on DynBlk's there is great info here (in the link below). I'll assume 2011 allows you to rename Parameters and Actions. This I have found to be the best way to remember what you have done to the block. And as you will enevitably read here (well over in the Dynamic Forum) a DynBlk will become less useful the more complicated it gets.

A great Dynamic Block initiation:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Dynamic-Blocks/create-a-sticky-topic-or-a-wiki/m-p/2318033

Dynamic Blocks make sense if you use and construct them on a regular basis. I'll sometimes try and retry several things as I create a DynBlk to get it to do what it does. Rarely is it a one shot deal. Just as the one you and I were doing this day took a bit of trial and error to get to the point we got to.

Daily use is the only way I have found to keep skills honed. Documentation never hurts you just have to decide what it is you want to teach.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Hey Chuck, should we get him onto doing button macros? Yanno, like the ones I have for locking and unlocking all elements, or switching to and from ISO mode, or the ones that mimic the different set squares (even the adjustable one), or my personal favorite -- the one that zooms a bit farther than extents...

...or do we tell him how to actually draw in 3D in LT?

Message 4 of 6
pendean

You can use a simple word processor document on your desktop to add notes, clues, tips and more to it and reference when needed. While links are helpful, they sometimes disappear for reasons out of your control, so you should actually store that info locally for your use.

If you have a current version of Microsoft Office, check ou the app called OneNote: it does an even better job at tracking notes, PDFs (print those web links to store locally), images and so much more for later reference. In an office environment, you can even share this with your entire team.

Documentation is always a good thing.

Message 5 of 6
AcadAdamLT
in reply to: Charles_Shade

@Charles_Shade wrote:

And as you will enevitably read here (well over in the Dynamic Forum) a DynBlk will become less useful the more complicated it gets.

Depends in my oppinion, I can have a very complex construction but making the block easy to use and with alot of functions. As long as it's easy to use it's usefull for me.

Signature, sincerely... //Adam
AutoCad LT 2016
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
Message 6 of 6
Charles_Shade

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost