Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redrawing of Blocks is very slow

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
christiaan321
3217 Views, 4 Replies

Redrawing of Blocks is very slow

Hello, hope someone can help me.

I work with a lot of pre-drawn blocks, and need to move them all the time to different locations for different drawings.

1. Although I have a really fast computer, I'm still wondering why when I move a block using "m" "Space" command, and I stop, it takes a while and it looks like it's redrawing it. Some times larger blocks take a long time to redraw, and then it's in the wrong location, so when I move it again, i need to wait again for the redrawing to complete. Please help!

2. Also, the cursor blinks when I move it, and some have suggested to reduce the screen color bit rate, but what's the point. I have a great PC, with 1Gig dedicated graphics, and now I can't use it?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance,

Christiaan

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: christiaan321

LT version?

Windows OS version?

Video card driver updates yet?

'great' means what to the rest of us?

A redraw during move has always been slow, the bigger and more complex a selection the slower it gets. You provide no details on these 'blocks'.

Message 3 of 5
christiaan321
in reply to: pendean

Hi there. Sorry for no details. Here it is.

LT 2011

Windows 7 32-bit

Intel Core i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93GHz

4GB DDR3 1600  (But since it's a 32-bit system, only 2.99GB is usable)

Nividia GeForce GT 240   (Latest drivers)  (1-GB dedicated)

I Don't know how to explain the blocks, but they are mostly road signs, like a Stop, or Yield, etc. I know that they're not that big, but it's just really slow.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
pendean
in reply to: christiaan321

I will not ask why you hobbled a possible great system with only 32bit: that's no longer a great system, just average. i3 is a low end single processor too, great for laptops needing longer battery life, not much gain with AutoCAD over older dual-core processors now showing up in discount PCs: is this a laptop by chance, or a desktop?

Not sure why small blocks are doing this, they do not here with me, so try the following tips from others (in no particular order), and watch for when Autodesk kicks out the LT2011 update sometime soon that may fix these random issues (I hope):

- Turn the ribbon off by picking a classic workspace. 
- Turn off the modeless layer palette. 
- Turn off any palette transparency.
- Turn off SelectionCycling, SC button at bottom of screen
- Set hpdlgmode to 1  and/ or hpquickpreview to off.
- Are you using two monitors?  Use monitor 1 as your graphics monitor.
- Update your video card drivers here (if any, otherwise try your PC vendor or video card vendor's websites):
http://www.autodesk.com/autocad-graphicscard
- Use Windows 7 Classic/Basic Theme (not AERO or Custom Theme). You miss some of the Aero whizz-bang features, like layout preview and other niceties,  but overall performance seems better for some users.
- Win7's Aero Glass option sometimes turned on by your PC/laptop's manufacturer, turn it off for all your power options.
  note: you can turn Aero visual effects off for individual programs by right-clicking the shortcut, go to properties, then Compatibility Tab...check Disable Visual Themes.
- Start Windows 7 in Diagnostic Mode. If it works here the cause of the problems may be the display or pointer drivers, another driver, a background process (such as an antivirus application) a system utility (like the Registry cleaner).

Message 5 of 5
christiaan321
in reply to: pendean

Wow, thanks for being so nice about my system.

I bought components that I can upgrade, because I worked on a budget, and didn't have much to spend. I know I made a mistake with choosing 32-bit, but I wasn't sure that all my programs would be 64-bit compatible.

It's a desktop, and I wil upgrade in the months to come.

Thanks for the replies. I chose a basic - high contrast theme, and now everything seems to be much faster!

Thanks a lot!

Kind regards.

Christiaan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost