Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Dimension Base Point Issue in Baseline Dimensioning 2011/12/13LT

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Kingshillweb
798 Views, 8 Replies

Quick Dimension Base Point Issue in Baseline Dimensioning 2011/12/13LT

I apologise if this has come up before but I searched and couldn't find a reference.

I have two LT licenses and run 2013LT on a laptop and desktop. I have always wondered why using QucikDimension for baseline dimensioning worked differently between the two.

If I create a series of steps and invoke the command, the desktop will set up the baseline from a datum on the left hand end, but the laptop would always do it from a junction one or two steps in from the left. I can correct it by using the Baepoint option and resetting it to the extreme left.

I have finally realised what is happening. My laptop has a wide screen and so the left hand end is often in the negative X (ie -X) coordinate values.  QDimension will not by default set the basepoint in a negative X coordinate region!

If I move the entities across so the left hand end has a +X coordinate value then no problem!

With the desktop, which has the older style square proportioned monitor, the X cord is usually positive so no problem.

2011 and 2012 behaved in the same way!

Is this a bug or logical design feature?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

SWAG - What are the LIMITS set to on the Laptop? (This makes no difference here if the lower left is Negative.)

Make sure LIMCHECK is set to 0

And is this a new drawing it happens to or an existing?

Also, write out the steps you use to do this if my thoughts here do not work.

Message 3 of 9
Kingshillweb
in reply to: Kingshillweb

Limcheck is set to zero.

Set limits 420 by 297

Turn grid on with setting "display grid beyond limits" off

Zoom all

The positive area of the screen is now clearly indicated by the grid. Area to left of grid confirmed negative X

Draw three or four continous steps: one set inside the grid and repeat with a second set with the left hand end in the area to the left of the grid. In the second set the remainder of the steps fall inside the grid.

Use Dimension, Quick Dimension,  and then select Baseline  and dimension both sets running left to right. Using crossing window to select the lines.

In the fiirst set, the datum is on the left end of the first line (as it should).

In the second set the datum basepoint is inset to the first end point within the positive area.

Notes: same problem whether using lines or polyline. Same problem even if I copy the same entities into the new area. Same problem on my desktop too. Because the desktop screen is much more "square" than laptop I am less likely to have a negative area of any size on the screen.

Message 4 of 9
pendean

FYI, QDIM doesn't work as you describe (launching baseline then selecting objects). Otheerwie that quirk does exist, I can repeat it. Interesting.

Message 5 of 9
Kingshillweb

No, the way I wrote it is slightly confusing. The sequence is as you say - the items are selected earlier.

I have been using LT over many years now albeit at a fairly "intermediate" level. With each new version I see things that used to work, stop working, and things that never work, not working still. This can be added to my list of things which other users probably gloss over like:

Why is there no Tan, Tan, Tan option on the circle icon in the toolbar?

Why did the paragraph justification icons in the multiline text stop working properly several versions back?

Why does the schematic in Format Dimension Style fall over if the "scale for dimension features" value exceeds 2?

Why in version 2012 did the "Measure" command conveniently turn the DYN setting on inorder to show the graphic on the screen (and turn off after) and in 2013 it doesn't?
.....and on, and on!

If you  are trying to show complete beginners how things work, these little issues matter. At super-user level they probably don't.

Message 6 of 9
pendean

If you want to start a new thread, please do: it helps others not to take tangent moves in a thread about a separate issue(s).

Message 7 of 9
Kingshillweb

I can see little point in starting another thread as these issues have been around for some time. I'm sure AutoDesk are aware of them (in some instances the turn of evens has been the same as the specific issue above and the problem has been acknowledged) but the problem is never corrected in later versions.

Message 8 of 9
pendean

IMHO, if people post about problems or issues and enough complain and report it, it eventually gets either fixed or 'explained' by more experienced users or staffers as to why that is as it is. If everyone stays quiet and assumes others are doing it for them the status quo remains static.

Wouldn't you like to know if you are doing something wrong or different, rather that your content recipients all shrug their shoulders and work around your mistakes and talk behind your back about how you changed things for no reason and they don't know why you do it and why doesn't "someone" tell you? Treat them as you wish to be treated yourself my friend.

Message 9 of 9
Dan.Scales

Hi,

Could you post a screen shot from each machine showing the dimensioning issue so the issue is clear?

Regarding the other problems/questions, as Dean said in his earlier post it is better to make create new posts for each issue. If a single post contains multiple issues it just ends up being confusing to all.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Scales

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost