Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to import text with formatting in AutoCAD LT 2014?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
christopher.sanders
714 Views, 4 Replies

Possible to import text with formatting in AutoCAD LT 2014?

Good afternoon- I've created a word processing file, and would like to import it *with formatting* into AutoCAD LT 2014. Is this possible? The file is in outline format (it's a spec, and has a bunch of numbers and tabs)...but the tabs don't come in when I insert this text - it's all lined up, left justified. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Your method of "import"?
Are you wanting to maintain the link to the original word processor file?
Message 3 of 5

Yes, ideally. I work in OpenOffice, but can save in most formats, including .rtf and .txt.
Message 4 of 5

COPY/PASTE between both open programs, after you select everything from the source file, would get you a snapshot. Double-click on that snapshot and your original document should open (linked): at least that's how Microfost Office products act.
OR
COPY then PASTESPEC command in AutoCAD/LT would get you more options to choose from.
OR
INSERTOBJ command can be used for the longer process of attaching and linking to a file.
OR
COPY/PASTE from the source file into an open MEXT WIndow, no link, but you get the formatting.

Note that with OLE linking, there is a size limit of around a single printed sheet.

Start experimenting: all the above work with more "office" applications but I don't have direct experience with OpenOffice to confirm.
Message 5 of 5

Dean- Thank you very much for your help - it is much appreciated. Each of your described approaches works very well.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost