Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametric Dimensioning

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
JamesPowell7164
1217 Views, 6 Replies

Parametric Dimensioning

Using AutoCAD LT 2011

Parametric Dimensioning sounds interesting but there isnt a very good description in the help menu and I think that I might like to ustilise it.

Any books or reference material that anyone can recommend?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: JamesPowell7164

It's not an option in LT to create these contrained objects and dimensions (see parametric tab from full AutoCAD attached, compare to LT's): so you are looking to only show/hide and manage them if created by others?

Message 3 of 7
ianyoung84
in reply to: pendean

I too am looking for a way to have parametic constraints in AutoCAD LT. We just spent $1000 for the LT because we are not doing any 3D modeling. We mainly use it for just marking up existing building floor plans. Is there a way to get the parametrics as an add-on feature. Its hard to justify an additional $3000 to my boss for the full version of autocad just so I can constrain things to be perpendicular, parallel, etc. and to have dimension constraints.

Message 4 of 7
Charles_Shade
in reply to: ianyoung84

Equate the $3000 to the time you spend without it and show that it will pay for itself over time.

Or wait maybe three to five years or maybe the next version. Some things big brother can do get moved into LT over time to help justify the price increases.

Parametric Constaints is not an add-on.

Message 5 of 7
Bob_Zurunkle

to Ian:

It sounds like if all you're doing is marking up existing plans, you may not have even needed AutoCAD LT. That said, LT does have the ability to draw at perfect perpendicular angles -- the F8 key toggles the ORTHO feature on and off, which is similar to a T-square and the old 90 degree set square in board drafting. Additionally, the dimensions should be associative by default, meaning if you physically change the length of a dimension, it will display the adjusted figure automatically.

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 6 of 7
ianyoung84
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Thank you guys. I may not like it but at least I have my answer.

I work for an electrical contractor and we install a lot of digital lighting control systems. Mostly I use AutoCAD to to show the light fixtures, our control equiplment, communication wiring, etc. over the existing floor plan. I also have to box out the control areas that will be affected by occupancy sensors. We also do a lot of solar work, so I am often laying out rooftop plans.

Long story short, I draw alot of basic shapes that I would like to easily resize and dimension. Right now, in LT, i cannot simply grab the corner of a box and resize it. I use ortho mode to create the box, but the lines aren't constrained to stay horizontal, vertical, perpendicular, etc. so the one vertex gets moved and everything becomes skewed. I have learned to work around this by grabing the midpoint of the vertical and horizontal sides as two steps, but this is just a long tedious process.

Basically, I would never use the 3D modeling features of the full version, but it looks like thats the only way to get the parametic constraints.

Message 7 of 7
Charles_Shade

That reads like a Dynamic Block would be helpful to you.

This can be designed to Stretch as you are suggesting.

Or have you tried the RECTANGLE Command?

Hover over the elongated blip in the center of the created PLINE for more options.

Or make the grip Hot then Right Click - You can add to these right click menus common Commands that you may use.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost