Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening AutoCAD LT 2013 documents in older versions of AutoCAD

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
2499 Views, 7 Replies

Opening AutoCAD LT 2013 documents in older versions of AutoCAD

I am a new AutoCAD user and need some help.  I have created .dwg drawings in AutoCAD LT 2013 and have found that people with older versions of AutoCAD cannot open them.  Is there a generic overall version of AutoCAD that I can save my drawings in that would be accessible to all versions of AutoCAD?  Thanks for your help and guidance!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Irish2
in reply to: Anonymous

When you go to save your drawing you have the option of which version to save it to. If you aren't sure what the other people have then a safe bet is to use v2000. Just do a "save as" and look at the bottom of the dialogue box where you see the version listed, hit the arrow on the right and your choices will be there.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Irish2

Thanks for the quick response. Will give it a try. Brenda Dove Schlage AD Pre-Sales Application Engineer 11819 North Pennsylvania Carmel, IN 46032 Desk 317-810-3442 Cell 317-362-9230 [WP_xxxx_ADbutton_290x163.jpg] ________________________________ The information contained in this message is privileged and intended only for the recipients named. If the reader is not a representative of the intended recipient, any review, dissemination or copying of this message or the information it contains is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender, and delete the original message and attachments.
Message 4 of 8
Charles_Shade

Also in OPTIONS under the Open and Save tab you can set this to the defualt you want.

You may run into PrOxy Objects in the newer version not saving or playing well in previous versions if you do need to go back to 2000. (MLeaders are a good example.)

PROXYGRAPHICS, PROXYNOTICE, PROXYSHOW Variable should all be explored for each vesion of AutoCAD being used.

Items listed in CAPS are typically Commands in AutoCAD

Message 5 of 8
antoinearch

Better yet, keep your drawings in 2013 and send them the link (politely)  to the free DWG viewer located on the autodesk home page and let them convert it themselves.  

Message 6 of 8
Charles_Shade
in reply to: antoinearch

Let me know how well that goes for you 'cause I've not found out how to make others do that yet.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks to all for your input.  I have saved my .dwg file in the 2000 version of AutoCAD and will be sharing them with others shortly.  From my initial testing with a few internal folks it appears this is my  best option.  I appreciate all the input and will update in the next few weeks with how it works. 

Message 8 of 8
antoinearch
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I don't really give them an option 🙂  If they can work in autocad, they can handle converting the file.  I work in 2010, but if someone gives me a 2013 file i just convertit myself.  You know, give a man a fish he'll eat for a day... kind of thing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost