Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open command brings up different folders

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
lrlandusky
634 Views, 15 Replies

Open command brings up different folders

Upgraded to LT 2013, and I've noticed that when I click open, CAD brings up a folder that I was working in the previous day or even the week before.  I've created shortcuts to get back to the folder I need to be in, but it is not the current working folder (apparently).  This is also the case for xref's (when I go to attach a new dwg file).

Even after I change to the folder I want, and open a drawing from that folder, CAD reverts back to a folder I was in the day before.

When I start CAD, I use a shortcut icon that runs a startup script - so I'm not opening a drawing to start CAD, I actually just Start CAD from a shortcut to the program file.

Any ideas?

-Lance

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
pendean
in reply to: lrlandusky

Change REMEMBERFOLDERS variable to a setting that matched your previous install: or explore it in HELP and test it's settings to find what works for you.

Message 3 of 16
lrlandusky
in reply to: pendean

That didn't do it.  I remember this with AutoCAD in the past, but this is not remembering the folder I'm in.  This is what AutoCAD changed with this variable, but it doesn't seem to work correctly in 2013.  Maybe it's time to check with subscription support.

Thanks!

Lance

Message 4 of 16
pendean

Make sure you share the code behind your startup with them.

Message 5 of 16
lrlandusky

I still can't get it to work.  It's very strange about what folder it picks to open from.  I modified a dwt file, and the first folder it wanted to look in was with the factory templates.  Then after opening a dwg from a folder I was working on yesterday, it reverted back to one from last week.

I don't want to have different icons for different folders - I want AutoCAD to work as it did before 2013.  It saved the last folder opened from like it's supposed to.

Thanks,

Lance

Message 6 of 16
pendean

Did you go through subscription support? You are paying for the privilige... .

Message 7 of 16
lrlandusky

I am currently working with subscription to figure it out.  I do like the discussion groups better most times because you and others tend to answer things much faster than subscription does.

Thanks,

Lance

Message 8 of 16
Albert_Rius

Hi,

If REMEMBERFOLDERS = 1 AutoCAD LT 2013 should go every time to the folder used last time. This information is stored in your profile (HKCU\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD LT\R18\ACADLT-B001:xxx\Profiles\<profil name>\Dialogs\OpenSaveAnavdialogs\InitialDirectory) . It should be updated every time that you open a file or save it.

Are you running any kind of registry backup/restore system?

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Albert Rius
Technical Support
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 16
lrlandusky
in reply to: Albert_Rius

I'm not running anything like that.  The thing that is really weird is that it will revert back to a few folders correctly, but not most of them.

Keep the questions coming, maybe I can get this solved either here or through subscription support (currently have a case open).

Thanks,

Lance

Message 10 of 16
pendean

What is REMEMBERFOLDERS set to in LT2013 on your system?

Message 11 of 16
lrlandusky

REMEMBERFOLDERS is set to 1.  I tried it with 0 and was getting the same effect.  It's like this variable isn't working correctly in either mode.  The start in path was supposed to be default when I open a drawing (under rememberfolders 0), but that is not working correctly either.  When it is set to 0, it will still default to a folder I was working in previously, just not what I have currently opened from.

Message 12 of 16
pendean

As a test, log-in to your PC as another person (not you) and see if the problem goes away. This is a registry edit and should be updated.

Message 13 of 16
lrlandusky

Well, the problem definitely went away - now what do I need to fix, replace, or delete in the registry to solve this?

Thanks!

Lance

Message 14 of 16
pendean

You're not going to like it: you need a new Windows log-in. Sorry.

Message 15 of 16
lrlandusky

Ouch, you're right.  There has to be some key I can delete or reset or something that is affiliated with AutoCAD that will fix this issue.

I just noticed that it is only with certain folders.  I'm trying to narrow down which folder(s) don't work.  If there is only one folder, then it has to be something weird with a folder structure, folder name, or something of that nature.

Message 16 of 16
lrlandusky

After some experimentation, it's escalating on the weird factor.  If I save those drawings into a different directory, they work fine.  I can close and when I open, CAD takes me to the new folder where I was just working.  If I then add that folder to the places list, it doesn't work anymore.

The even weirder thing is that I can add any other (tried 15 different ones) folder to the places list, and they all work just fine.  It has something to do with that combination of files and the places list that is messing up the rememberfolders function.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost