Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New acad/win update issue

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
drjohn
920 Views, 12 Replies

New acad/win update issue

Is anyone else experiencing  a hard crash (intermitantly) when they close the drawing with the X in the upper right corner of the drawing?

This happens on all dwg files nd the only thing that change was this mornings windows updates. 3 CAD stations here and 2 of them are experiencing the same issue. The 3rd has not been used recently so not sure about that one.

Nothing ... NOTHING ... has changed other than the win update this AM.  IT did not do a push and no new utils/progs have been added to the box. The only thing the 2 stations have in common pertaining to this issue is the win update. They are diff hardware configurations.

A side note here ... the Office manager's printer stopped working this AM after the updates as well.

I want to roll back the updates and see if that will resolve the issue but she is hessitant to do this without her IT guru's advice first.

Anyone else have this issue or is it just me?  Smiley Mad

Regards,

DJ

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
drjohn
in reply to: drjohn

Oops ... forgot .... All stations ... ACAD 2012LT

Win 7 Pro

Nvidia Quadro 600

Update:  Now it's crashing on a print command or on a circle command.

For all intents and purposes my system is unusable for ACAD. Actually, all 3 stations are not usable for ACAD.

Regards,

DJ

Message 3 of 13
Irish2

Have you tried deleting the Windows update, rebooting and then see what happens?

Message 4 of 13
drjohn
in reply to: Irish2

I have admin and that's my next step but gotta wait forthe office manager to get approval.

She really is protective of the systems

There were 13 updates this AM for the system (at least for mine). I'm hoping I can roll back all ofthe updates at once but not sure.

I'll check the win help and see what the procedure is for that.

I'm suspecting the .NET framework since it had 4 updates this AM and there are still 2 .NET framework updates waiting that appeared this afternoon.  I wonder..... hmmmmm  Smiley Indifferent

Thanx for the tip.

Regards,

DJ

Message 5 of 13
Charles_Shade

I'd go with the Restore to yesterday too.

Funny thing about Windows updates is that you likely can install them tomorrow and everything will be good...

.NET's in my experience are hit and miss to even install properly. I'd suspect those.

Message 6 of 13
drjohn
in reply to: Charles_Shade

UPDATE:

I have rolled back to the restore point before the .NET framework updates (and all the Win updates with it) and am still getting ACAD stopped working errors and ACAD shuts down.

I can recreate it almost at will now.

Open 2 or 3 drawing files

Make a change or 2 on all (this  is where it is intermittant. Sometimes no changes to force the crash)

Close the dwg on top

I am prompted to save

If I answer YES ... ACAD crashes (and I lose all drawing file changes)

If I answer NO ... ACAD crashes (and I lose all drawing file changes)

If I save before closing it does not prompt for save (of course) so it doesn't crash. (my current workaround but a PITA)

There are 2 CAD systems (not identical) that are suffering from this now.

Any thoughts?

All drawings

Core i5

Win7 x64

4 GB RAM

Regards,

DJ

Message 7 of 13
drjohn

HP Designjet 500 24 driver is the culprit.

Remove it, system does not crash. Work for hours. No problems

Reinstall it ... system crashes. On SAVE usually but not always.  Sometimes it just craps on my shoes for no reason (visible reason). Go figger.

Gotta find another driver cause I think the one we are using is a Win driver. Hopefully an HP driver will correct this.

Message 8 of 13
Irish2

If you find one for the 500 that works for Windows 7 64-bit let me know because the one I downloaded from the HP site doesn't work for me. I have to transfer my files via flash drive to my laptop that uses 32-bit Vista to plot from it. PIA but at least I have the option!

Message 9 of 13
pendean

Thanks for sharing the info.

Message 10 of 13
drjohn
in reply to: Irish2

@Irish2 wrote:

If you find one for the 500 that works for Windows 7 64-bit let me know because the one I downloaded from the HP site doesn't work for me.

OK ... now that's depressing. Smiley Sad

I'll keep you informed if I stumble upon anything.

Regards,

DJ

Message 11 of 13
drjohn

After a half hour on the phone with HP yesterday I finally got the bugs worked out in my ACAD crashing problem (so far).

Our IT consultant had put every HP Design jet driver he could find into the system. Apparently those were causing the issue.

I removed all traces of HP Designjet drivers and installed this one made for Vista:

270.71-Quadro-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe

It's on the HP site but I fergot where. You should be able to find it.

I have been working on the system for about 8 hours and so far no failures and the other engineer that works CAD here has not said godd*mnit once.  The air used to be full of it. . I have even attempted to force it to crash but it holds up, so for me this appears to be a solution. But the day is young.  Smiley Indifferent

Hope it works for others that have an issue with HP Plotter drivers.

Again, Core i5, 6 GB RAM,  Nvidia Quatro 600, Win7 Pro x64 OS, HP Designjet 500 and the driver above will/should work to clear up the problems. Remember to remove all Designjet drivers and reinstall the one listed above for Vista.

HTH

Regards,

DJ

Message 12 of 13
kenn.sunley

Thanks for this info - I just upgraded to a Win7-64bit machine and started having problems with crashing.  Also using a Designjet 500-42 with drivers I got from the HP site.

I will try the one mentioned here.

Kenn

Message 13 of 13
drjohn
in reply to: kenn.sunley

Too large to attach to the forum (over 2 meg   Smiley Frustrated  guess AutoDESK is short on disc space )  but the one you wanna get is:  hpdj500wx64pclen

It's a Vista driver.

Regards, DJ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost