Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New AutoCad 2011 Lt pausing

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
jtatthebeach
1452 Views, 11 Replies

New AutoCad 2011 Lt pausing

I have recently installed lt 2011 and i'm having a bit of an issue. Any time I copy something or move something after it is placed the cursor pauses for like 3-5 seconds. Anybody have any ideas?

I'm runing vista, 4 gigs ram, intel core 2duo e8400 @ 3ghz.

Thanks

Jesse

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
drjohn
in reply to: jtatthebeach

Yeah, I have the same issue and I'm thinking graphics driver or even an above board card.

This Intel on-board stuff just doesn't cut it for power use. In fact I sent an email to our office manager Monday about this very issue. I get my final paycheck on Friday. ( j/k Smiley Very Happy ) We are a small company and money is at a premium right now.

I have a new system with Win 7 and the Intel HD Graphics and it's a slug IMHO. I didn't find it on the AutoDESK Blessed list.

On occasion during a pan or zoom I will lose some of the graphics (just in the drawing area) until a regen.

Regards,

DJ

Message 3 of 12
jtatthebeach
in reply to: drjohn

I don't know if mine is a graphics issue or not...I'm running the nvida 9800 gx2 card..its a little older but still should have enough push to safely run 2011 lt.

Well i've narrowed the problem down( I think anyway) to files that are older...One of my clients still uses autocad 2002..and those are the files that are causing it to freeze. Its soooo frustrating. 3-8 seconds it will pause. Its after a copy, move, mirror. once the object is selected and then placed..right click(enter) and then.....freeze.

Message 4 of 12
pendean

As a test, open these files with RECOVER command, then PURGE and see if that helps.

Also, turn off "maintain visual fidelity" in Options>Open/save tab.

Message 5 of 12
namssurt

Try saving a copy of the 2002 file in current format. Close current copy and open ne version. Does the problem go away? I found that working with older dwg formats in 2010 will cause bogging down of the system.

jg
Message 6 of 12
jtatthebeach
in reply to: namssurt

Thanks for the tips...

I've tried both options...even did a wblock and tried to get rid of it that way. Still the same..

I will either have to get used to it or pull my hair out...which ever is first..ha!

I'm going to find the issue though...i hope for my sanity...

Message 7 of 12
jtatthebeach

well I take that back...the wblock method after a recover seems to have worked..at least for the moment...really don't know why it would take all of that to get it right...but beggers cant be choosers...

Message 8 of 12

I have had the same problem, and trialled what has been suggested (Running brand new HP machine with 64bit, Windows 7).  For brand new drawings its fine, but opening anything created in an old version of AutoCAD it pauses when moving text and view ports.  I have found a new annoying pause issue, drawing revision clouds.  This is now a serious problem in the office, as we will probably not upgrade any more computers as it slows working to a ridiculous pace.

Any ideas how to deal with all of the projects we are working on now, without having to recreate every drawing we have?

Message 9 of 12
pendean
in reply to: DavidBrown5676

Safety Net direct Autodesk support (not free):
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=7031104&linkID=9240617
or

If you are on subscription, visit your Autodesk
Subscription Page for direct Autodesk Help.

Message 10 of 12
jtatthebeach

Just an update on mine....well turns out that alot of my clients 2002 files where coming out to about 1500 or 2000 kb..way to dang big in my opinion. And another thing that I found was that there where alot of blocks in them and layers all messed up...ie walls drawn on 0 layer and just the color changed. anywho. I have had to isolate all layers and correctly lable them and get rid of all the "hidden" blocks and crap in the drawing. I now have my dwgs down to at the most, with all text and hatch in there, 500kb. A huge difference.

David,

I think the best advice i could give ya from what i've experienced is take about 30 min and just clean the drawing up as much as you can. I know eveybody and every office has different cad standards and such. As we all know copy and paste for details can be a life saver but also they can be a pain in the butt cause they may have hidden blocks in them if they where created many years ago by somebody else.

I know its super super frustating. I was pulling my hair out at one point cause it would take me 20 min to copy and paste multiple things.

Message 11 of 12

Make sure that you have the text fonts specified on text styles on the old drawings are on the current computer - font substitutions are slow.   You could also try as a test editing all text styles to be TXT aor Arial and see if that helps with speed - if so the original fonts might be the problem.

Message 12 of 12
ferguscarr
in reply to: george.drayton

I have just worked out a solution to this problem.

Open new dwg ('destination')

Open Existing dwg ('source')

Copy all information from source 'source'

Paste in 'destination' (paste to original coordiantes)

Right click on layout tab in 'destination'

click from template

change 'files of type' to dwg

Find 'source' file

select all layouts

Bingo

Merry Christmas

Love Fergus Carr

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost