Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mouse cursor lag when selecting objects

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
gccdesign
31676 Views, 30 Replies

Mouse cursor lag when selecting objects

The issue I am having a problem with is a mouse cursor freeze when I select an object with no command active.

When I select an object, the cursor will freeze for about a second before I can move it again. When I hit escape to de-select the object the same thing happens.

This is with Acad LT 2011. WinXP. 

Normal operation this computer runs ACAD quite fast, no particular lags or anything except maybe when selecting to copy or move very large groups of objects, or when switching between layouts or to model space when there is a fair amount of stuff in the layout, or when regen on a large file size.

This mouse cursor lag was not always the case, but at some point this problem appeared.

I have tried save, regen, regenall, closing the drawing, exiting ACAD LT, rebooting the computer.

It's very irritating, since so much of using ACAD is clicking and doing things with the mouse, that it really slows down my production, to have to get a cup of coffee every time I do a select action with the mouse.

About a week ago I installed the trial version of LT 2012 to see if it was different. When I opened the same dwg in 2012 there was no lag.

I then closed this and opened the dwg in 2011, and there was no lag. So it seems that the installation of the 2012 trial version changed something in the way 2011 operated.

It has been operating fine now with no lag until this morning. Now I have the lag again.

When I now open the same dwg in 2012, I now have this lag in 2012 as well.

I did not change any settings in 2012 or 2011 like hardware acceleration or whatever. I just suddenly had this lag, and now I can't seem to get rid of it.

Attached is a file that was made by opening ACAD LT 2011 and drawing a few lines, then saving it. No template used.

On my computer with this file, I get the mouse cursor lag when I select a line.

GChapp

Tags (2)
30 REPLIES 30
Message 21 of 31
JJUDD_RAAE
in reply to: norcalcboy

Ding Ding Ding! worked perfectly on mine. crappy thing is, i use it for everything. anyone know how to accelerate the properties function?

Message 22 of 31
gilsoto13
in reply to: JJUDD_RAAE

Read this post
1. https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Cursor...

Change these variables
2. SELECTIONCYCLING = 0
UCSDETECT = 0
ORTHOMODE = 0
DYNMODE = 0
ROLLOVERTIPS = 0
SAVEFIDELITY = 0
QPMODE = 0
SNAPMODE = 0
SELECTIONPREVIEW = 0
PROPERTYPREVIEW = 0

3. Try changing these other Variables:

SELECTIONAREA = 0
SELECTIONEFFECT = 1
SELECTIONCYCLING = -2
PRESELECTIONEFFECT = 1

4. restart AutoCAD and check if the lag is gone.

If lag is still there, Go to
5. Command Options, Go to Selection TAB, uncheck all 4 boxes under PREVIEW: When a command is active, When no command is active, Command Preview, Property preview.

5. Restart AutoCAD and check if lag is gone.

6. Here more options to speed up your cursor.
http://blogs.rand.com/support/2013/08/why-is-my-cursor-very-slow-or-jumpy-in-autocad.html

Message 23 of 31
Josh.Gilbert8H7SS
in reply to: pendean

I've been looking for a long while now for an answer to this.  I can't believe this is all it was.

Thanks

Message 24 of 31

Thanks. I'm glad it helped. It seems it could a bunch of things that affects it.
Message 25 of 31
andmiller7
in reply to: ccieslak

I have had the same problem. Open the drawing, click on an object and there is a lag for about half a second. My drawing had 2 XREFs. I saved a copy of the file and detached the XREFs, problem solved. I can click on objects and there is no lag. 

Now to clean the XREFs and hopefully re-attach them without causing lag. Which must be possible as many other drawings have multiple XREFs with no mouse lag.

Message 26 of 31
gccdesign
in reply to: gilsoto13

I've been irritated by the jerky cursor for a long time.

A few months ago I went through this list I think.

Anyway, when I set UCSDETECT=0 it fixed it. Haven't had the problem since.

GChapp

Message 27 of 31
JeffMoranKSS
in reply to: gccdesign

For what is worth, I believe this issue is caused by something outside Autocad, but Autocad is most affected. I've been having this issue for several years, several Acad versions and even throughout new computer upgrades. Just the other day I noticed my computer did a general Windows update. After restarting my computer and starting Autocad, the issue is gone, only to startup the next day and back again. Just this morning I had one optional Windows update (something related to my monitor) restarted and no delay. I'm betting I will notice it back again in a day or 2.

I also wonder if it may be caused by some sort of networking issue. I have a Dell notebook and while at the office on the network I will notice the issue. I take my computer home work on the same project copied local and no issue.

When I do have the issue, I close my properties palette or minimize the general tab within the properties palette. 

Hope this might help to shed some light on this issue since I've dealing with it for years and has been a pain in the ass, it would be nice to get some answers on it or finally a solution.

Jeff

Message 28 of 31
JJUDD_RAAE
in reply to: JeffMoranKSS

Jeff, I have since figured out a bypass for what I use AutoCAD for. I used to always keep the properties dialog box open. When you are selecting objects it’s always trying to quantify all of the properties and thus bogs down your selection time.

So now I have become very disciplined at only opening it when I need it and closing it right after. It might slow me down very temporarily, but overall I am able to do my job just as fast as ever.

I do agree that there has to be something else that affects it overall. But that’s up to Autodesk to figure out.
Message 29 of 31
JeffMoranKSS
in reply to: JJUDD_RAAE

Closing the palette seems to be to most efficient, I've notice that minimizing the general tab in the palette is the next best solution, and allows to keep the palette open. But still creates that extra step in the process.

Message 30 of 31
JeffMoranKSS
in reply to: JeffMoranKSS

Okay, so minor update, but still baffled! After things working smoothly again without the selection delay. I shut down my system, bring to the office, restart and problem returns. Very slow selection again (most noticeable with ACA elements ie: walls). I look to see if there were any new windows updates. None, but a couple optional items. I decide to restart and see what happens before updating. I start Autocad and all good again! Great for now, but what the heck is causing this!!!!

Message 31 of 31
psyinside.eu
in reply to: gilsoto13

It's working! Big thanks! QPMODE 0 !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost