Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate custom settings issue with icons

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
boydgrossii
466 Views, 12 Replies

Migrate custom settings issue with icons

I'm working with some clients and I, myself, am rather new to AutoCAD.  We are using AutoCAD LT 2010.  I found, in this forum, how to export custom settings.  We exported settings and then imported them on a new computer.  All seemed well with one minor exception:

He mentioned that every thing exported as far as window settings go, but within each applet (I'm not sure what it's called when you replace the ribbon with drawing applets), some of the icons weren't in the location where he had it.  He reported that his copy icon was in the location that his "Cut" icon was.  I hope I'm describing all of this properly.

I wanted to see how to get these settings as well.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
pendean
in reply to: boydgrossii

Assuming you've dont it correctly, do they simply need to reload their preferred WORKSPACE insiade AutoCAD?

Otherwise, you need to specifically migrate their customized CUIx file and any associates custom BMP image files they may have created, then load it in LT2010 on the new PC inside AutoCAD using CUILOAD command to replace the default CUIx file.

Message 3 of 13
boydgrossii
in reply to: pendean

Where would I find those files?  Would it be something I do using that export that I did before, or would I copy those files from one computer to the next by going to the directory and locating them?

Message 4 of 13
pendean

If you still have the 'old' PC, start AutoCAD, then start OPTIONS command, look in the FILES tab under Customization Files>>Main Customization File to find the user's CUIx menu file and it's location.

Same procedure on the 'new' PC: if both are one and the same file then rename the one you find on the new PC for safe keeping and location the copied CUIx file here. Restart AutoCAD and activate the user's WORKSPACE.

Message 5 of 13
boydgrossii

I found the file.  It pointed to only one.  I copied it over (after renaming the file and such).  How do I activate the workspace?

Message 6 of 13
pendean

WORKSPACE command inside AutoCAD, follow the prompts.

Message 7 of 13
boydgrossii

I used that WORKSPACE to "SEtcurrent" to the one he is using on the old pc.  I can't be for sure that it worked until he returns.  Until then, Thank you so much.

Now, if this didn't work, what did I miss?

Message 8 of 13
pendean

Ask the user to help you identify what else is missing (if you both can be at the old and new PC to identify the items) than come back with the extra details I'm sure we can figure it out.

Message 9 of 13
boydgrossii

Awesome!  I will do so when he returns.  Thank you.

Message 10 of 13
boydgrossii

Here's a screenshot.  I highlighted (with unparalleled craftsmanship) a couple areas he mentioned.  He said that one area should be "zoom" instead of undo and the other one was material properties (I believe) instead of block properties.

Message 11 of 13
pendean

Two things to try while in AutoCAD:

- Start CUI command, identify the name of that toolbar in the old pc. Then do the same on the new PC: is it the same toolbar? If no, find the correct one and turn it on. If yes, then click on the TRANSFER tab and on the right pane browse to the CUIx file from the old PC, load it up, find the toolbar, and drag/drop between them to the same toolbar on the left side.

- CUI command should be something your user does not fear (or you): simply drag and drop the icons they don't want and drag/drop the new icons they want from the command list on the CUI command pop-up. How to use and manipulate the CUI command is explained in HELP, quite a few videos on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyFCOcC-DeA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC-lZFsE-hU

And if you need to put it all back for some reason:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHBtIoTWo54

Post back if you get stuck somewhere.

Message 12 of 13
boydgrossii

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your support.  This community has blown me away by level of knowledge as well as speediness of reply.  Much better than the 3 day avg on some places I've been.  Thank you.

Okay, htat being said, here's what I ran into:  He has some custom toolbars he's done.  he did them without creating a new toolbar within his CUI area.  When I exported one toolbar and tried to import on the newpc, I ran into the error on the attached image.

Will I need to do this for each toolbar, or can I export all settings he has from the top file and then export/drag & drop within that tranfer window?

Message 13 of 13
pendean

Back to my first suggestion of simply importing aqnd using the 'other' CUIx file with all the correct toolbars not an option?

Deleting and then transfering identical toolbars is another approach if you want to do it that way.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost