Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum hardware specs for AutoCAD 2000?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
cgordon002
4464 Views, 11 Replies

Maximum hardware specs for AutoCAD 2000?

Normally ask for minimum system requirements BUT this time I need your help and opinions on maximum system requirements for the older 2000 version.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
hwalker
in reply to: cgordon002

Well the following are the recommended for LT 2004, so I would go no higher than the following

• Intel Pentium III or later, with 800 MHz processor, or compatible
  • Microsoft Windows XP (Professional, Home Edition, or Tablet PC Edition), Windows 2000 Professional, or Windows NT 4.0 (SP6a or later)
  • 128 MB (minimum), 256 MB RAM (recommended)
  • 200 MB free disk space
  • 1024x768 VGA with true color (minimum)
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer 6
  • CD-ROM drive
  • Mouse or other pointing device

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 12
pendean

For R/LT2000? Win98se/NT4 and any hardware you can find at Walmart or your favorite Office Supply store in the discount or firesale aisle.

Don't forget to install all the "2000" updates and patches too.

Message 4 of 12
Bob_Zurunkle

I'd like to point out the obvious -- use a 32 bit system, or an emulator. And those systems only go 3 or 4 Gbs max.

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 5 of 12
cgordon002
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Not real sure about what you mean about 3 or 4 GB's?

However you helped a lot by pointing that AutoCad 2000 is 32 bit. So I am thinking of trying Windows 7 Professional in 32 bit mode with a new computer. Just using average hardware with current processor, harddrive, Memory, video, etc.. Am I on the right track?

Message 6 of 12

Can I ask why you need 2000? A lot has changed in the last decade and a half, and if you're buying a new computer anyway, why not get software designed for it?

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager, Washington DC
BIMmuse.com
Message 7 of 12

The man in charge is very concerned about any changes that a new version might have on the proprietary designs. Unfortunately he will consider any options until it is not possible to use AutoCAD 2000 Cgordon002
Message 8 of 12

Tell him it's not possible. 🙂

Seriously, if he's actually concerned about the content of the files, opening old DWGs in newer versions has NEVER been a problem. There will be some time & effort expended in learning new features (and how the old ones work now), but probably less than you'd spend trying to baby the old software.

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager, Washington DC
BIMmuse.com
Message 9 of 12

I'd agree. And the new stuff will work on a Windows 7 machine with 64 bit system, so you can have lots more memory. 32 bit systems have a memory "ceiling" of about 3.2 Gb.

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 10 of 12
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

I'd also like to point out that there were big changes in 2008 bringing tons of advantages to viewports and to dimensioning, to name a few. The really big change was the addition of annotaion objects that year. All of these can increase productivity immensely. The latest verisons have all of this and the Ribbon!

Message 11 of 12
pendean

Shoot the messenger 😉
Message 12 of 12
cgordon002
in reply to: pendean

Have to be bullet proof to survive. There are always options and methods to help the boss help himself. 1) Make it his idea 2) I like the fear factor, boss I will follow your lead and will be there for you when it crashes in the middle of that big money maker project and one of my favorites 3) I hear so and so is servicing that old account of ours because the technology makes them more competitive. Chris

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost