Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layer Properties Don't Update Array Object

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
rsiggelkow
15514 Views, 11 Replies

Layer Properties Don't Update Array Object

I have a drawing with several layers being used. I also have some objects that are included in rectangular arrays.

When I update the colour or visibility of the layer, the array items do not follow the layer properties.

I have verified in the properties that the array object is on the correct layer.

Windows 7 64-Bit

AutoCAD LT 2013 SP 1.1

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
hwalker
in reply to: rsiggelkow

Is the colour for the Array Objects set to 'BYLAYER'?

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 12
rsiggelkow

Yes. Everything is set to ByLayer. Even when the layer is turned off, the array objects don't go away.

Message 4 of 12
pendean

Can you post a DWG file?

Message 5 of 12

You know that Array objects have layers of their own, right, like blocks do? Individual elements can be (but don't have to be) on a different layer from the actual associative array.

Left-clicking on the whole array should tell you what layer it's on; ctrl+left-clicking on an array object should tell you its layer. Does turning off one of those two layers give you the correct result?

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager, Washington DC
BIMmuse.com
Message 6 of 12
bgingerich

Are you using the 'old' command (ARRAYCLASSIC: uses dialog box) or the new which uses the command line.  It appears that along with the functionality of the ARRAY command, the behavior of the array also changed.  Per this post, if you are using the new command-line-only ARRAY, is it being created on layer 0 like a block?

EDIT: You're fast Kate! Smiley Sad

(if ("mysolution"=answer) then (click "Accept As Solution"))
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Brandon Gingerich
Message 7 of 12
rsiggelkow

I checked the individual items in the layers by CTRL+Click and they are on the right layer.

I used the ribbon to create the array.

I noticed while trying these that the array objects are actually following the layer properties of the layer that they were originally created on.

On the drawing, I started with the ground floor frame and then copied that up to the second floor. Afterwards, I changed the second floor frame to the other layer. It seems that the second floor arrays are still following the properties of the ground floor layer although it looks like they are on the second floor layer. The second floor items that aren't arrays are reacting properly.

Message 8 of 12
Johneng

Use the ARRAYEDIT command specifically the Source option to change the layer that the array source objects are drawn on. You will need to use the ARRAYCLOSE command to close out the ARRAYEDIT command.

Arrayedit command online help can be found at the following link.

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2013/ENU/index.html?url=files/GUID-BD2D21A1-ED66-4A1A-B1DE-551D41C5D7E3...

ArrayClose command online help can be found at the following link.

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2013/ENU/index.html?url=files/GUID-D3E79D10-2151-45F4-AD49-A598DAB80723...

Message 9 of 12

@rsiggelkow wrote:

On the drawing, I started with the ground floor frame and then copied that up to the second floor. Afterwards, I changed the second floor frame to the other layer. It seems that the second floor arrays are still following the properties of the ground floor layer although it looks like they are on the second floor layer. The second floor items that aren't arrays are reacting properly.

Yes, that'll do it. If you just selected the array on the second floor and changed its layer, you did not actually change the layer of the items in the array.

Johneng's solution of editing the array (through the contextual tab if you like) to modify the source object's properties will be the way to go.

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager, Washington DC
BIMmuse.com
Message 10 of 12
rsiggelkow

Thanks for the help everyone. Editing the source and changing the layer of the objects in it worked.

Message 11 of 12
jgrande26

I'm having an issue with this too in AutoCAD 2014. It's driving me batty, trying to control my layer visibilities in my various viewports, having to edit my arrays twice to get everything on the proper layer so it displays correctly. I love associative arrays but I hate this particular behavior. If the layer the array is on is turned on in my viewport, I expect the array to be visible. Is there a setting somewhere to link the array objects to the array as a whole so it behaves properly? Or is there some *best practice* I should be employing when I create my arrays to avoid this headache? I want to be able to select the array, change the layer and have all the objects in the array automatically change to that layer.

Tags (3)
Message 12 of 12

I had the same problem and this solution helped. Thank you Iseult

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost