Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing different plot style tables

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
m_ridzon
6367 Views, 15 Replies

Importing different plot style tables

I've plotted many drawings and I've always just taken it for granted that the plot style table that I typically use, monochrome.ctb, would be there to select in the plotting window. Usually, the drawings from my customer, have this option available to me in the plot style table when I get ready to plot. However, a few have come to me recently in which it was not available. Instead, the drawing had a monochrome.stb which does not plot out with a true monochrome appearance. I do not want this. I do not know how to get the monochrome.ctb style from my other drawings to work in my new drawings that only have monochrome.stb. I know very little about the different plot styles and how to modify them or import/export them. From what I gather by browsing this help site is that you might be able to save plot styles to a folder in your computer and then import them to your drawing. Is this true? Does anyone have any input as to how I can get this monochrome.ctb to work in my drawings that only have monochrome.stb??
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: m_ridzon

The DWG file can be set to CTB or STB usage (in fact, all plot parameters), and your system setup is always ignored. Look up CONVERTPSTYLES command in HELP for usage. -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 3 of 16
m_ridzon

Thank you for your reply Dean. Using your suggestion, I was able to convert my plot style table to have *.ctb plotting styles. I found the information in the help menu as you suggested, but I'm still a little unclear on how to use these different plot styles. Why is it that I can't convert them back to *.stb plot styles? It asks me to first do a "CONVERTCTB" command. What does that command do? I do not need to convert the drawing back to named plot styles(*.stb), but I just would like to know more about these plot styles, what they do and how they work, for my own knowledge.
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

The topic is well covered on this server, try a search at the top level and through the AutoCAD link at http://discussion.autodesk.com Additional links if they are still up: ctb vs. stb: http://www.cadmasters.com/techsupp/Acad/pltstyle.html ctb: http://www.glencoe.com/sec/tie/php/article.php?articleId=46 http://www.glencoe.com/sec/tie/php/article.php?articleId=86 stb: http://www.glencoe.com/sec/tie/php/article.php?articleId=47 http://www.glencoe.com/sec/tie/php/article.php?articleId=87 -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 5 of 16
m_ridzon

Dean,

Thank you for those websites. They were very helpful and after playing around with these different plotting styles for a while, I have a better understanding of them. Another question still lingers though. I can easily convert a drawing from named plot styles to colored plot styles using the CONVERTPSTYLES command. Why can't I just retype that command to switch a drawing back from colored plot styles to named plot styles. When I do, an interim prompt comes up that says something like "You should convert your color dependent plot styles to named plot styles with CONVERTCTB before you convert your drawing. What is this and what does that mean? I figured I should easily be able to convert my drawing back to named plot styles with the CONVERTPSTYLES command and it seems that is not the case. Would you be able to expand on this?

Thank you!
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous

It's an added prompt for those that do not have STBs set up. -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 7 of 16
m_ridzon

Dan,

I apologize, but could I ask you to expand on your reply. What is that extra step for? You said that it's for those who do not have STB's set up. I don't understand. My AutoCAD has default STB's in it....monochrome.stb, aclt.stb, sample floor plan_base.stb, etc. What would I need to go through this step for if I already have STB's setup?

If I do try and bypass the CONVERTCTB step by just typing in CONVERTPSTYLES, it won't make the switch. It pops up a "select file" prompt when I type CONVERTPSTYLES, in which I'm not sure what it's asking for there. I double click on any of the .stb files in the prompt window and it says that "the file does not have a color mapping table and cannot be used to convert drawings.

Why is this "conversion" not necessary when going from named plot styles to color dependent styles?

Would you expand on your reply or could you steer me to a link that I could look at more?

Thank you for your time.
Message 8 of 16
lionfour

Thank you!!!!!!!!!
Great Tip!
Message 9 of 16
bjbreda
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi, I recently had to re-install my AutoCAD LT 2010.  I am now having trouble plotting.  Although I have many *.ctb files within the following folder (C:\Users\USERNAME\appdata\roaming\autodesk\autocad LT 2010\r15\enu\plotters\plot styles ) my newly re-loaded version of AutoCAD LT 2010 doesn't seem to understand that they are there.  I have checked under "options" and the Printer Support File Path -> Plot Style Table Search Path, it is set to the same file location

C:\Users\USERNAME\appdata\roaming\autodesk\autocad LT 2010\r15\enu\plotters\plot styles.  How can I get AutoCAD LT 2010 to understand that all my .ctb files are already there?

1) If I open one of my existing drawings and type the command "plot" the cursor just spins and the program no longer responds.

2) If I open a template file and copy all of my existing drawing into it, then type the command "plot", under Plot Style Table (pen assignments) it does not see any of my .ctb files.

3) If I start the "Add-A-Plot Style Table Wizard", It asks me to either a) start from scratch b) Use an existing plot style table, c) Use my R14 Plotter Configuration (CFG) or d) Use a PCP or PC2 file.

I only have PC3 files.  Why does it not ask for that type of file (.pc3)?

Any help is greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

Message 10 of 16
maxim_k

Hi,

Are you sure that you logged into Windows with the same Username as USERNAME in Plot Style Table Search Path?
Could you try to create new account in Windows, log into it, copy your custom CTB files to new location (according to new USERNAME), start AutoCAD, open one of your old drawings and try to plot?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 11 of 16
bjbreda
in reply to: maxim_k

Hi, Maxim,

"USERNAME" within the file path is just a generic word for my first name.  I am logged in as my first name and the file path also contains my first name.

Please explain why, if I log in as someone else's name and set up similar file structures under that user, why will that solve my problem?

Thanks.

Message 12 of 16
Charles_Shade
in reply to: bjbreda

The idea is to find out if something is wrong with your regular log on.

If a new logon works then there is something that needs to change there; possibly with your login credentials.

Message 13 of 16
bjbreda
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Hi, Charles,

I am willing to try this.  I have logged on as another person.  I have started AutoCAD LT 2010.  I have also emailed myself two "E-Transmit" zipped files containing all the info in order to open two of my existing drawings.  Do I need to save those files off in a certain place on this user's files structure in order for AutoCAD LT 2010 to "find" the correct plotter and pen settings?

I appreciate the help!

Thanks.

Message 14 of 16
Charles_Shade

You should save the files as you would normally. Try to replicate as much as you can that is the same across both Windows user accounts.

Message 15 of 16
bjbreda
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Hi, Charles,

I have opened up my existing drawing in the other user and have been able to print when I choose  "Export" -> "PDF". Thanks!

But if I choose "PLOT", it does not find the correct pen settings and the plotter, although they are located in the correct file folders.  I really don't understand the "Add-A-Plotter Wizard" and "Add-A-Plot-Style Wizard".  One gives you the choice to use a .pc2.  Unfortunately, I only have .pc3 files.  It doesn't ask for those.

Is there any way to find out how a .ctb file was structured?  Is there any way to find out which color pen had been designated with which pen thickness?  Perhaps I could reconstruct the correct pen weights if I knew what I had previously.  I have never programmed this.

Back in my original user profile, is there anything that I can do to correct this log-in process so it would correct my original problem?  Or am I destined to always draft and plot from the second user?

Again, any assistance is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks.

Message 16 of 16
pendean

Export>PDF uses the built-in driver and whatever plot style table you have assigned in the tab you are in when you invoked the command.

Are you sure your file is set to look for CTB? Do you only see STB when you start PLOT?

PC2s died and went away: AutoCAD should give you the ability to convert it using STYLEMANAGER'as add-a-plot-style wizard.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost