Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to plot a single point at a set distance from the start of a curved polyline

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
athapa_WBC
1699 Views, 6 Replies

How to plot a single point at a set distance from the start of a curved polyline

Hi all,

I am trying to plot points at a set distance from the start of a curved 2D polyline.  I do know one way which is a bit long winded, which is to use the MEASURE command.  However i end up with several points along the line, where as i only need the first point, so have to delete all the other points afterwards.  Is there is a more straightforward way to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Jonny

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: athapa_WBC

How about drawing a line from the curve your certain distance and placing your point at the end of the line. Delete the line afterwards

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 3 of 7
JoAnn_Hogan

How about drawing a line from the curve your certain distance and placing your point at the end of the line. Delete the line afterwards

Alternatively you can add the drawing and I can test what you want to do or add a screen shot.

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 4 of 7
hwalker

Welcome to the Forums

Does it have to follow the curve of the polyline?

Do you know the length of the polyline?

I ask because you can do it with the following command

LENGTHEN.

Choose T for Total Length. Now type in the length you want.

Select your polyline

Draw your line starting at the endpoint of the polyline

LENGTHEN.

Choose T for Total Length. Now type in the length your original polyline was.

Select your polyline.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 5 of 7
athapa_WBC
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

Hi Jo,

If you mean a straight line, then this will be shorter than measurement along the curve, so may not be accurate enough.  I have sort of solved the problem for the job i am doing by using a chainage (green line) with more divisions allowing me to plot things where i want them with reasonble accuracy.  However if you have the answer to my initial question, it could be handy to know.  Thanks!

Curved chainage.JPG

Message 6 of 7
pendean

Since you need that level of precision, your current method is as good as it gets. Everything else is a compromise that takes away from your precise location.
Message 7 of 7
athapa_WBC
in reply to: hwalker

Thanks mate,

Yes needs to follow curve and know the length.  Looks like that will do the job, cheers!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost