Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to open a just created wblock

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
katie1994
1225 Views, 5 Replies

How to open a just created wblock

My fellow Autocad workers and I were debating this recently so I figured I would pose the question here.

Once you have created a wblock, is there a fast way to locate and open it up? It seems it would be logical that it would be in the file or recently opened files list but it's not. My reasoning is that since I have created the wblock my next step is to open it and use it.

For instance, I want to explore an alternative option to a floorplan I am working on. I make a wblock to have a clean copy to work on so I make a wblock. I then want to use that wblock.

Or, I need to send a client a plan to review. I make a wblock of just that piece of the building he needs. I then want to open the wblock, make notations or add a titleblock.

So, it seems logical to me that in most cases, I will immediately need to open and work in the newly created drawing. So, is there an answer to my question?

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
sthompson1021
in reply to: katie1994

Hi, if it's somthing that I really don't plan on keeping, I will save it on my desktop. Then I can just hit the desktop button and it's right there. If I remember right you use a mac so I'm not sure if that is an option for you or not.

Message 3 of 6
pendean

MAC or PC, WBLOCK command includes the option for you to select where to place it. All the time.
Sounds like you are skipping an important step.
Then you can use the suggestion above if you opt to not place it in the same folder as the file you started with (then you can use OPEN command and it would be right threre ready to access).
Message 4 of 6
katie1994
in reply to: pendean

Yes, I usually save it to the same folder. What I am talking about is a shortcut of sorts. In some programs when you save or export to pdf, you have the option of ticking an option that will then automatically open the pdf in Acrobat. I know it's easy to go to the file and open the new dwg. 

When I do a Save As I don't have to search out and open that drawing, it's the open one. Since I usually make a wblock with the intent of using it as the next version of a drawing, I was hoping to find a similar path. I usually make a wblock to clean up un-needed layers and blocks.

So I am not looking for a multi-step process, I just wondered if there is an option to check that will automatically open a new wblock, or add it to the recently opened files list.

Message 5 of 6
pendean

Out of the box, LT or AutoCAD:
1- REMEMBERFOLDERS variable, turn it on: explore it in Help, it's a system wide.
2- WBLOCK should default to the folder your file is in.
3- OPEN should also start you off in that same folder too.

To do more like what you are descirbing, you really need Full AutoCAD with LISP to get a Wblock/Saveas combo function to work: LT macros would require a lot of compromises and the risk of overwriting files.
Message 6 of 6
katie1994
in reply to: pendean

Thanks, I do have that turned on. We all have LT so will have to be satisfied with the typical way of doing things.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost