Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to draw storefront windows?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
mhmmiller
3659 Views, 5 Replies

How to draw storefront windows?

I'm using AutoCAD lt 2011. I need to use a symbol or linetype to indicate aluminum storefront windows for an office building. From what I have seen on other plans it appears that a linetype is used to do this. Do I need to develop a linetype to do this?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, mhmmiller

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: mhmmiller

What industry are you in? IMHO, go to the storefront manufacturer's website and grab their free DWG libraries and see how they draw their blocks for their storefront windows.

We, architectural firm, do not use a linetype, but a dynic block that consists of many lines for example (mullions, framing, glass etc.).
Message 3 of 6
mhmmiller
in reply to: pendean

I'm a Civil Engineer (don't hold that against me!) and own a commercial office building of which I am preparing an As-Built Plan.

I'm not an accomplished CAD tech and not familiar with dynamic blocks. The building has a curved storefront window which has a radius of 300 ft. and a length (or width) of approx. 74 ft. I don't know who the manufacturer of the window was. What is the common practice of drawing such a window in  plan view? If I need to create a dynamic block, then that is what I will learn to do.

Thank you

Message 4 of 6
pendean

For your purposes, a few arcs and lines, with boxes for the vertical mullions will be sufficient, unless you want to get into a lot of needless details. See attached PDF, top is overly detailed, the bottom is "good enough" for typical floor plans.

You're looking at a plan: horizontal line represent the bottom window/storefront frame, and lines close to each other in the middle is the "glass". YOu need to match your exact field dimensions.

I will assume you know how to field measure and draw an arc "... radius of 300 ft. and a length (or width) of approx. 74 ft..." and all of that stuff.

Message 5 of 6
Boom_Stopper

Unable to know for sure from

the description you wrote, I'll throw this out

there....

Are you looking to show the lines that indicate the material is glass?

If so, maybe one of the hatches would work for ya.

If you'd like more just say so.

Message 6 of 6
mhmmiller
in reply to: Boom_Stopper

What I need to show for the storefront windows in plan view are the edges of the window frame which is 4-1/2" wide, the mullions, jambs and a single line representing the glass. The building has window openings of 20 ft. with the exception of the curved storefront. I don't think a hatch pattern would be of much use in that the plan is being drawn at a scale of 1/8"=1'-0". I can develop a block for the straight windows. The curved windows present the bigger challenge. Very time consuming to draw each jamb and mullion for a window that is 74 ft. wide. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost