Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Edit Information in Tooltips/Size of Tooltip Window

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
katie1994
1781 Views, 5 Replies

How to Edit Information in Tooltips/Size of Tooltip Window

OK, I just started a trial version of LT 2012, existing version is 2008. So what is the deal with those enormous Tooltips? In 2008 they are a small box that only has the name of the tool. Granted, I am frequently annoyed that they seem to hover just over the button I am trying to select but I find them too useful to disable.

Plus, each time the program is upgraded the button icons are redesigned so I need them to navigate. In the Mac version the Explode icon is an exploded box rather than a firecracker.

So now in 2012, and in the Mac 2012 trial I just tried, the Tooltips have grown to include useage instructions, shortcuts, and a helpful direction to press F1 to help. Duh! I hit that key everytime I go for esc.

Is there a way to decide what I want to see in my Tooltips? I want the tool name and perhaps the shortcut or keystroke info. Unless you are just learning the program why do you need instructions on how to draw a line?

Thanks for any information, and thanks to all for the quick replies to my fumbling process!

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: katie1994

Did you try the name you mentioned in HELP? TOOLTIPS command to turn it off is probably best IMHO since you most likely already know how the commands you only want to show work. You can always turn it on back later or make a quick button for it. There are other TOOLTIP variables, but I honestly can't tell they do anything to help your quest.

http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocadlt/enu/online-help/search#WS1a9193826455f5ffba22e1113c6c30c0e-39... if you really and truly want to get into editing the content.

OPTIONS command>DISPLAY tab to do with Tooltips in LT2012 what you could do in LT2008 (like increase the delay time if you still want them on I believe). Explore OPTIONS's HELP button if you get stuck.

Message 3 of 6
katie1994
in reply to: pendean

Maybe it's a trial version glitch but when I turn Extended Tooltips off in Options>Display>Window Elements they still show up in the Ribbon. When I turn them on and set the delay to 30 seconds, they still show up immediately, no delay. And yes, I did click on Apply.

So with my trial version of Autocad LT 2012 my only choices with Tooltips in the Ribbon are on or off. Or I can try to go in and rewrite the program for each individual Tooltip.

To be fair, in my LT 2008 when I turn on "Show shortcut keys" it doesn't work either so looks like the whole subject is an oversight for Autodesk. And in 2008 there is not an option to delay the appearance of Tooltips as you suggested. At least not in the Options box.

I would like to keep the Tooltips turned on as I learn the new CUI since so many of the button icons have been visually "improved" to the point that I don't recognize them. Especially the Layers icons which are very similar. Plus, I would like to explore new commands and it helps to have the Tooltips on to identify those. So I there is a way to make the delay work in the ribbon I could have the best of both worlds.

And on that same subject, I just tryed changing the button size so I could see them better but nothing changes, even after I restarted the program. Is this a trial or LT issue?

Message 4 of 6
pendean

The time delay in OPTIONS is for the extended/expanded tooltip explanation, not the tooltip itself. The tooltips themselves are either on or off.

the "show large buttons" option is for toolbars only: you will need to adjust your Windows display settings if you want the other items resized. Just like all other programs in Windows.

The shipping version and the trial version are 100% identical: all you do is put in your purchased license number with the trial and it's the full version.

Message 5 of 6
katie1994
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the advice, but it doesn't matter what I have the Extended Tooltips set to, on/off or delayed, it always shows up as soon as I hover over a tool. I can't turn it off and I can't change the time it takes to show up. So I looks like it is a glitch in my program. MY only option is to turn Tooltips off entirely.

As to the button sizes, in 2008 I can change the size of the buttons and they actually change to large or regular. In 2012 it doesn't matter if the option is checked or not, the button always stay the same.

And what difference does it make to change the size of the Toolbar buttons when my CUI is set for Ribbons? I interrupted that to mean the buttons that appear in the Ribbon panels. That one must have been grandfathered in for the people who reset to the Classic mode. 

I am working on a MacPro with FusionWare and AutoCAD on a Windows platform. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Message 6 of 6
pendean

On or off, as I've stated in my last few replies, is all you can do with tooltips. The delay is for the expanded text, not the first tooltip appearance as I also explained in my last post. No glitch, that's how they've designed it.

Forget 2008, it's dead and gone. Everything you describe is true since LT2009 from what I've seen when the Ribbon showed up.

Turn on a toolbar in 2012 and see for yourself: they are not gone and are available whether you choose to use the Ribbon or go Classic workspace. Classic workspace is ALL toolbars, so the effect is the same as R2008, everything on screen gets bigger. Perhaps this is what you really need to use?

OPTIONS describes the 'large' function as only applying to toolbars only: Windows Display has a 'large icon' setting if you want the other elements to get larger (smaller, medium and large are what you should be able to select, but I've not tried them as I do not want to mess up my current screen settings). I doubt running Windows in a VM environment would somehow change AutoCAD or Windows options from a stock Windows setup.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost