Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does one get DDATTE to operate on double click?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
architec-tor
1685 Views, 13 Replies

How does one get DDATTE to operate on double click?

The pre-loaded double click options in the CUI were getting really annoying, so I deleted all the double click attributes (while in the CUI tree) to have a clean slate to work with, but now I can't figure out how to add DDATTE to work on a double click. 

I followed the Help guide and got all the way until it told me to "drag the command you want to add the double click action in the Customizations In <file name> pane", but I cannot find the DDATTE command in the Command List.

Help!!

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
architec-tor
in reply to: architec-tor

I believe it has something to do with the CUI but the tutorial is vague on this.

Please help!

Thank you.

Message 3 of 14
katani

Hi there,

In the Command List in the CUI Editor type in just "att". When the available commands list has refreshed look up Edit Attribute (the icon is a label with a pencil) and drag it to the Attribute Block node in the Double Click Actions group. When you are done look at the Properties pane on the right side and check what the Macro field says. It will most likely read ^C^Ceattedit; which opens the Enhanced Attribute Editor. For the much simplier Edit Attributes dialog box change the contents of that field to ^C^Cattedit; or ^C^Cddatte;

Alternatively you could drag any command and then just change the contents of the Macro field to the values given above.

See the attached picture.

Message 4 of 14
katani

The contents of the Macro field is what AutoCAD inputs to the Command line for you when you double click a block attribute.

What you see in the Command List pane in the CUI Editor are not the commands you (or AutoCAD) type at the Command line but just command names. That's why you can't find ddatte in that pane.

Layer, Layer Unisolate = command name

LAYUNISO = command

Hope that helps.

Message 5 of 14
architec-tor
in reply to: katani

I did ecxactly what you said but it's not working 😞

I even restarted my sessionin AutoCAD to see the changes applied only after a restart...

When I double click I get the "chproperties" instead, but In the Double Click Actions field there are no duble clck options listed except the new one I just added for ddatte (see attachment)

This is so confusing!

Message 6 of 14
katani

Right...I read your first post and the Help file once again and now I see where the problem is 🙂 . There is one important difference between what you did and what I did. The confusion comes from the fact that you deleted the original set of double click actions that came with your main customization file and created a new double click action from scratch.

A tip for the future. If you find the default settings in your main customization file "annoying", instead of deleting them create a partial customization file and modify these settings in that partial file (see picture 1). Just leave the main customization file intact. Actually, the only modification to the main customization file that you can do is to add or delete workspaces. Any settings from your partial customization file override their counterparts in the main customization file. And this is what I did (though I forgot to mention about that :-). I just dragged the Attribute Block double-click action from the main customization file to my partial customization file and modified that copy there ( I could have dragged any of the existing double click actions, it doesn't matter). Why doesn't your new double-click action work? It is missing one crucial property.

Please, open the Help file in the following place: Customization Guide > User Interface Customization > Customize User Interface Elements > Double Click Actions > Overview of Double Click Actions. Now make the Procedure tab active in the main window and then open the To create a double click action item .In Paragraph 4, in the second sub-paragraph it reads:

• In the Object Name box, enter a DXF name or one of the special object names used for an insert, surface, or underlay object. The value will automatically be converted to uppercase after the box loses focus.

When you create a new double click action from scratch (not by copying an existing one) that Object Name box has no DXF name assigned yet. You have to assign that name. In your case click the DoublClick1 item in your main customization file. On the right side in the Properties pane, in the Advanced group you have the Object Name box. It must be empty in your case. That's why your double click action doesn't want to work. In my case that box wasn't empty because I copied a double click action that came with my AutoCAD's default main customization file which in turn has all properties for all settings set properly.

Now you want to know where to find that DXF name. For this, make the Concept tab active in the Help window and in the Properties for the Attribute Block double click action table you can see the Object Name row and in the Description column "...see the link Double Click Action Object Names". Click that link and now you have in front of you the whole list of valid Object Names.

Choose one of the DXF names (it doesn't matter which one) and copy it to the Object Name box of your DoubleClick1 action in your ACAD customization file.

Now just click Apply, then OK, and (hopefully) VOILA!

Btw thanks to your original post with the question I have learned something new :-).

Regards

Katani

Message 7 of 14
architec-tor

Thank you for that awesome response! You are definitely an expert at this and apologize for not being able to figure this out. I tried to get started but got stuck right away (image 1.) My first effort originated at the AutoCAD Help section and clicked until I got stuck at Image 2. Next I tried starting from the Tools menu and going to the Customize > CUI Interface and got stuck at Image 3.

Sorry for being a newbie at this! I really appreciate your help!!

Message 8 of 14
katani

Message 9 of 14
architec-tor

That was truly an epic response!! I went trhough all the steps you provided but did not succeed. 

In the end, it appears the only thing I actually DID was to type ARC in the green box from Pic 6 (while in the Tools> CUI interface.)

All those directions just to type in those three letters? I don't understand all the explanations and steps in between.

Message 10 of 14
katani

Yup, my mistake. Open your Help file to show what pic 8 shows and scroll down until you see INSERT in the DXF column, copy the ATTBLOCKREF Object Name and paste it into the Object Name box in the Properties pane of your double click action (where you pasted ARC before).

I mistakenly thought that any valid Object Name would do, but it turns out that for editing attributes defined in blocks the ATTBLOCKREF Object Name must be used regardless of what the command macro is. Sorry for confusing you. Now your action should work.

Please, write which of the explanations you don't understand.

Message 11 of 14
architec-tor

It worked...kind of!

After I double click the block I want to change, it asks me to select a block (isn't that what I' just did?)...and then I have to click the block a third time before the editor comes up...Last time it worked I double clicked and it went -directly- into the block editor of the object...hate to ask, but how can I go back to the way it used to work and skip the additional click?

You are so generous and helpful, thank you!

Message 12 of 14
katani

Replace ddatte with attedit in your macro. These commands differ in just that one thing: the former requires 3 clicks the latter just 2 to open the editor.

Message 13 of 14
architec-tor

WOW!! That worked. You are a hero!!

I do have one last question (for now!)

Attached is a screen shot of what happens when I open up an existing AutoCad drawing (with no other AutoCAD applications running); I get a "dummy" screen (to the left) and the target drawing (to the right.)

It seems to me the dummy screen is unnecessary and would like to get rid this pet-peeve from my AutoCAd experience. Any advice on this one, too!

Thanks, you are really very very helpful 🙂

Message 14 of 14
katani

I have never seen anything like this before. Some of your toolbars and the command window seem to be sort of duplified, but the ones on the right are "unactive". I would suggest posting this problem as a separate thread, so that maybe other users know how to rectify.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost