Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hatch command

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
1914 Views, 15 Replies

Hatch command

The hatch command freezes up my ACAD, is there anything I can do?  This is a new drawing, so no bugs.

Thanks,

Carolyn

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

acad would mean what? version, WinOS and more would be considered good basic info to share with strangers like us 🙂

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous

AutoCAD LT 2009, Windows OS, 64 bit

Message 4 of 16
pendean

Turn Off Windows 7 Aero theme, see if that helps.

Message 5 of 16
Crass
in reply to: pendean

That will give you a minimal boost.  

The reality is hatch just sucks.  I am currently working on a plan with a ridiculous amount of hatching with very complex geometry as the boundaries.  I don't even want to think how long I waste waiting for AutoCAD.  Everything, from the actual hatch creation to rolling over a hatch, to selecting, to hatchedit is sloooooooooow.  Sure there is a lot of thinking involved but they need to improve this.  I've experienced this lag on 2.8ghz quad cores with 8gb ram (windows 7) to my current lame workstation (XP sp3).  Trim can give you problems too especially when you add xrefs and different z values for geometry.  These are fundamental Autocad commands.  They should perform better.

-----
AutoCAD 2018/2021
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2021
Message 6 of 16
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Crass

TMI for Autocad to decipher your hatch perhaps?

Where is the HPORIGIN for each of these hatches?

Do you divide these hatch areas into more manageable segments?

What are your Selection Preview and Visual Effect Settings?

Should you exclude Hatches?

Trimming a Hatch has always been problematic. Erase the Hatch, change the boundary and rehatch.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

The AutoCAD hatch command is by far the most horrible comand in the software.  I've lost countless hours to this command and it amazes me how ignorant AutoDesk is to this problem.  To the new people, it used to not be this way, but then they introcuded automation and the ribbons.  I can only hope that a better program replaces AutoCAD.

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 16
pendean

Turn off HPDLGMODE variable and you get the old version hatch command I believe.
Or consider INVENTOR or REVIT or other CAD software if you were serious: you have to do what's right for you.
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

It is 2017. I am using AutoCAD 2013. I have been using AutoCAD since version #14 and 2000 - over 18 years... I still have problems with HATCH.

HATCH was never done right from the start and it still doesn't work right. It drives me nuts in most cases. I have to do hatching in Bricscad and than go back to ACAD to finish the job. It's a shame that Autodesk never did make any improvements in HATCH.

Message 10 of 16
pendean

Q: You do a lot in Bricscad I noticed (unless you're just getting paid to advertise for them around here): why not just stick with it? many have switched and are very happy with it.
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I am not ready yet. I am planning to very soon. There are a few little things that are slowing me down so I go back to AutoCAD. However, Bricscad (I am not paid by them or anything) is getting progressively better every year.

Message 12 of 16
sectionei8ht
in reply to: Crass

True that!  Everyone office-wide complains about Autocad hatching and how much time is lost waiting for Autocad to hatch, in addition to the continual crashing during hatching.  My response is, "yes hatching sucks, and if Autocad hasn't fixed this issue in the 20+ years that I've used it, they never will".

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: sectionei8ht

Thankfully there is Bricscad - much smoother, faster and considerably less expensive.

Message 14 of 16
steven-g

@Anonymous

This is a Forum for Autocad LT users, who ask questions about how best to use Autocad LT, it is answered mostly by other Autocad LT end users, not Autodesk employees. If you have a gripe about Autodesk or it's products I suggest you send a letter to Andrew Anagnost explaining to him what you think he is doing wrong and how he might fix it. If you have any insights as to how we the users can work more efficiently with Autocad LT which for the majority I would think is a software program that is provided by our employers and which we have absolutely no control over. These same employers also don't frequent these forums, so your comments are lost on them, If you think you could sell them an alternative CAD program then please feel free to contact Rob van Wingerden CEO of the group I work for.

Otherwise if you have comments about how Bricscad can be used to it's best then I would suggest you try https://forum.bricsys.com/ as much like any software Forums people with experience who are willing to help other users are no doubt always welcome.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: steven-g

Interestingly enough there is no mention of a Hatch command that was the subject of this strain.

Thank you for your advises but I don't remember ever asking for any.

Message 16 of 16
pendean

>>>...but I don't remember ever asking for any...<<<
@Anonymous By posting your opinion you open yourself up for a response and others' opinions too: it's that simple.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost