Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed plane or lock Z=0 in LT

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
apstevenson
15594 Views, 13 Replies

Fixed plane or lock Z=0 in LT

I have a dxf from a survey that has 3 dimensional information, it is of the inside of a room and some of the points are on walls and some on the floor. I want to draw a plan but when I draw from point to point the lines change their Z value. Is there any way to lock the plane that I'm drawing in so that the lines that I draw are 'flat' and on a single plane ie Z=0 but are in line with the points that exist at different heights? I have attached 3 views to show the problem. The 'Top' view is what I'm trying to get, but flat!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Tags (3)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
drjohn
in reply to: apstevenson

There are 2 ways to do that.  Well, maybe 3.

1.  TOOLS >  OPTIONS  and somewhere in there is a Z value setting to ignore the Z value in any pick or something like that.

2.  Select a point that has a true zero value for z and start a PLINE from there. The PLINE will maintain the first Z value selected throughout the command.  fF none have a true zero value then select any point, draw your line and thru the PROPERTIES panel change the zero value of the pline to zero. Be sure to set your precision as high as possible to make sure you don't have a line that is .0000001 in the Z axis. That'll screw it up.

3. Somewhere on this forum someone posted a macro that will run in LT and change the value of all objects in a drawing to zero elevation.

HTH

Regards,

DJ

Message 3 of 14
hwalker
in reply to: drjohn

And I shall post it again

C^C_move;_all;;0,0,0;0,0,1e99;_move;_p;;0,0,0;0,0,-1e99;

Even though it was posted ages ago, by a totally different person.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 4 of 14
apstevenson

Hi DJ,

Thank you, the polyline solution is very helpful. I've had a look through the options and could not see the option to ignore Z value. If you happen to remember where it is I would be even more grateful than I am already!

Thank you very much.

Message 5 of 14
drjohn

Tools > Options > Drafting tab

Lower left corner has several options for Object Snap Options.  Replace Z value with current elevation is prolly the one you want.

Again, make sure your Z value is set to zero prior to starting the line or pline command.

Regards,

DJ

Message 6 of 14
Charles_Shade
in reply to: hwalker

...and will be posted again...

it is inevitable...

Message 7 of 14
apstevenson

Hi DJ,

The only option I have there is 'Ignore hatch objects', is your suggestion for LT (2013)?

I can use your polyline method prefectly well, or indeed the reposted solution which I had come across as I searched the forum for a solution but wasn't looking to flatten the entire thing, just draw on a fixed plane, so thank you for that.

Message 8 of 14
drjohn

@apstevenson wrote:

Hi DJ,

The only option I have there is 'Ignore hatch objects', is your suggestion for LT (2013)?

I am looking in full ACAD 2012 ... I wouldn't touch 2013 with a ten foot pole.  But that's a subject for another margarita.

The REPLACE ZERO WITH CURRENT ELEVATION  should be the selection just below the IGNORE HATCH OBJECTS if they haven't screwed that up and changed the dialogue as well in 2013.

Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving if you are in the USA ... if not, happy whatever today is for you. Smiley Happy

Regards,

DJ

[edit]

Now that I think about it, that option may not be there in LT since LT does not support 3D.  The pline method is the best I can come up with for now.

[/edit]

Message 9 of 14
pendean

LT has no just 'Z' option, never has.
Message 10 of 14
drjohn
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:
LT has no just 'Z' option, never has.

Now there's a news flash.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 14
pendean

Since you don't use LT, and I do, your confusing responses needed correction.

Message 12 of 14
drjohn
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:

Since you don't use LT, and I do, your confusing responses needed correction.

Apparently it did not confuse the OP.  Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 14
peckdesign

w do i run a macro? or install it?

C^C_move;_all;;0,0,0;0,0,1e99;_move;_p;;0,0,0;0,0,-1e99;

thanks

Message 14 of 14
pendean
in reply to: peckdesign

Here is one link that may help:
http://www.thecadmasters.com/wordpress/index.php/2011/03/31/autocad-cui-custom-commands/
You can find videos on the same topic for free at youtube.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost