Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIelds within blocks

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Mike.Lamka
2585 Views, 8 Replies

FIelds within blocks

Hello, I am trying to update blocks for a client.  Each block has a line of text with the block name in it.  I would like to automate these with a field so that if the block name changes or a new block is created from that one, then the field would update as well.  I am running AutoCAD LT 2012 currently.  Thank you for your help.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: Mike.Lamka

You want the field to pick up the name of the block it is in? or is this field reading the 'text' entry in the block?
Message 3 of 9
Mike.Lamka
in reply to: pendean

To pick up the name of the block is it in.  Each block contains a dynamic block that serves as a sort of title block for it.  The attribute that i'm wanting to change per each block is within the dynamic block.  I have also included one of the blocks as an example without all the notes.

Message 4 of 9
AcadAdamLT

http://ltunlimited.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/02/block-placeholder-attributes.html

Is this what your looking for?

Signature, sincerely... //Adam
AutoCad LT 2016
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
Message 5 of 9
Mike.Lamka

I already tried that method.  That way will bring in the name of the dynamic block, but I need it to get to the name of the block that dynamic block is residing in.  I'm thinking the only way at this point is to have that line of text reside only within the block itself and not the dynamic block.  It appears not to be able to read a block within a block.

Message 6 of 9
AcadAdamLT

Use this field and select the block within as object with display name.

If you change the name of that block the field should change to, if you delete/add/replace that block however the field's association to that object will be removed and the field won't work.

Signature, sincerely... //Adam
AutoCad LT 2016
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
Message 7 of 9
Mike.Lamka
in reply to: AcadAdamLT

When i select 'Object' in the left hand column it brings up a radio button in the middle column to select an object.  Display name is not an option that i can find any where.  Is there a possible diesel expression that could do it instead?

Message 8 of 9
pendean

"object" requires an actual entity selection: that's what it is looking for.

It would appear you are simply wanting a titleblock entry to reflect the name of an object inserted after the fact within the titleblock, is that correct: FIELDS don't work like that.
Message 9 of 9
Mike.Lamka
in reply to: pendean

i was afraid of that.  thank you for your help guys.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost