Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy/ Paste crashes AutoCad

31 REPLIES 31
Message 1 of 32
dipen
15716 Views, 31 Replies

Copy/ Paste crashes AutoCad

Hi All.

Im using AutoCAD LT 2012 and evertime I try to insert a block or paste something from the copy with basepoint command, AutoCAD crashes.

Any idea what's causing this?

31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32
pendean
in reply to: dipen

Windows 7?

happens with every file all the time? Every time?

Message 3 of 32
dipen
in reply to: pendean

Hi,

yes it is windows 7.

i tried it on a new drawing and it works. what does that mean?

soemthing wrong with the file that I was working on?

Message 4 of 32
pendean

It's probably related to the file: try fixing it (them?) by using AUDIT (followed by PURGE), and also ensure what you are selecting are not custom AEC blocks from programs like AutoCAD Architecture or CIVIL3D etc.

Message 5 of 32
dipen

No Such luck, did both an audit and purge.

I am copying blocks within the file. a block for example that was drawn on 1 layout in paper space that I try to copy to another tab within the same file and it crashes.

I just tried to print a JPEG and the same thng happenened.

Message 6 of 32
Charles_Shade

WBLOCK that drawing into  a new File.

Any better?

Message 7 of 32
dipen
in reply to: Charles_Shade

No that still crashes it hey.

I think it has to do with the size of the file, its a patch of alot of drawings over a large area with lots of layers. 

It seems a common problem though if you google it.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?42907-Continual-crashes-caused-by-copy-past-and-move-co...

Message 8 of 32
pendean

Can you share it? I've never seen a 'too big' crash problem ever. WIKISEND is a good distribution tool that times out eventually. If you are shy about posting it here you can use the email contact method in this forum we are posting in to give me a link.

Message 9 of 32
mierzvoj

hi all

I am desperate right now. I has been weeks since I am trying to track down this issue. New machine. Intel i-7, 8 Gigs of RAM, Sandy Bridge, Win 7 64 bit, Acad 12 LT. Ctr+c freezes acad completely. Only certain files cause this, received from our cooperative designers (created in earlier version of acad). Newly created files are OK - no freeze. Creating a block and trying to put it into another drawing as a ctrl+c substitution also freezes acad. Heeeelp me please...

Message 10 of 32
pendean
in reply to: mierzvoj

Fix those files: start with AUDIT (answer yes to the question offered), then if needed -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD command (note there is a dash in the file name). and PURGE everything soon afterwards.

WBLOCK out all the model content is another good method to leave behind issues, followed by INSERT into a template file of yours (or new drawing) that does not crash.

Tags (1)
Message 11 of 32
mierzvoj

Thank you so much. EXPORTTOAUTOCAD command helped me renew my faith in AutoCAD. Finally I can copy elements from one drawing to another. Thank you again Dean.

Message 12 of 32
dipen

Hi there 

A bit late.. im sorry but please find attached the file. if you try to paste a block into it or element in it into another file it crashes. Ive tried all the suggestions in this forum.

ANy help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Message 13 of 32
Charles_Shade

Dynamic Block from Palette: No Problem.

Dynamic Block from Insert: No Problem.

Dynamic Block Copy/Paste: No Problem.

Dynamic Block Copy/Paste as Block: No Problem.

Standard Block from Palette: No Problem.

Standard Block using Insert: No Problem.

Standard Block Copy/Paste: No Problem.

Standard Block Copy/Paste as Block: No Problem

For the heck of it - Hatch from Palette: No problem.

The file is missing and attcahed XREF.

Could the XREF be the issue?

Message 14 of 32
dipen
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I removed all the xrefs. (find attached).

I'm still having the crash on my side. (attached the error message i get.

There is some L shaped desks in the drawing (furniture) If i ctrl shift copy + C and the paste with base point it crashes.

Message 15 of 32
Charles_Shade

Yea, it happened!

Small consolation.

I perused this thread and added to it. Maybe someone will see the bump and chime in again.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Fatal-Errors-amp-Unexpected-Close/m-p/3341611/highlig...

The answers here are no more useful than anything else tried.

Google returned a couple of hits that basically have said the same thing for the last 10 years.

One in particular from an Autodesk employee spoke to fixing an Open Space Object. (At least that is something different. Hopefully Dean will chime in to tell us what that is or even relevant.)

Message 16 of 32
pendean

Your file crashes in LT2011, LT2012, LT2013, AutoCAD 2011-12-13, AutoCAD Architecture 2011-2012: your file is the problem since these programs do not crash here with that function.

What is the source of your file? Nothing I tried seems to fix it sadly except for a routrip to/from R12DXF format.

Message 17 of 32
dipen

I cant be certain as the drawing comes from a consultant/s. but it can only be revit or autocad.

You mentioned you found a way to solve it though?

I saved it down to a R12 DXF and then back up to a 2010 dwg. but that didnt work. Not sure if that is what you meant?

Message 18 of 32
pendean

Your file seems to be the problem based on testing here. Sorry, not much else I can do with it.

Wait and see if others can look into it more, but I can't find an easy fix.test

Here is the DXF and R14 DWG file that do not crash here: http://wikisend.com/download/292566/test.zip

Message 19 of 32
dipen

Thanks for the file, but how did you create it? or clean it so it doesnt crash?

I tried saving it down a version and it still crashes. What did you do exactly? Prior to saving down?

Message 20 of 32
pendean

DXFOUT command in LT2013, started a new drawing then opened and saved the DXF file to DWG R14 format.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost