Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting points in a point cloud

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
krounded
1277 Views, 3 Replies

Connecting points in a point cloud

Greetings,

I am looking for a way to connect the points in an exported and exploded point cloud with lines that can be manipulate by AutoCad LT.

I am using a 2d measurement system to generate a 2d point cloud. I've tried a couple of different types of software to accomplish this task. In one case, I was able to create a drawing with Rhino that linked the points with thousands of tiny polylines. I was able to use a join command and go a little farther with more lines linked together, but the lines were still not suitable for AutoCad LT to manipulate. The join and pedit commands in AutoCad LT did not seem to work either.

I need to find some way to convert the point cloud into lines and curves that AutoCad LT can manipulate without too many adjustments after the transformation (That is, not having to connect every one of the thousands of tiny lines.)

I am a very new beginner in AutoCad LT. I really don't know square one about how to draw something.  I'm really looking for a way to create true lines from points.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pendean
in reply to: krounded

LT is the wrong tool: it has no point-cloud abilities. You are basically trying to use a sledgehammer for detail work with your method: how much time have you spent on it so far? Hope you are getting paid for evey hour.

Message 3 of 4
krounded
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:

LT is the wrong tool: it has no point-cloud abilities. You are basically trying to use a sledgehammer for detail work with your method: how much time have you spent on it so far? Hope you are getting paid for evey hour.

Yes Dean, I think it is like a sledgehammer. I am not trying to manually connect these points. (believe me).

I'm trying to find some software that will connect the points for me and then save in a format AutoCad LT can read and interpret as lines.

I've tried Rhino to link the lines together. That took me only so far. Now I'm trying other software and was hoping someone could come up with a suggestion here

Message 4 of 4
pendean
in reply to: krounded

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost