Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Layers with "Downloaded" Drawings

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
FLHX
351 Views, 4 Replies

Changing Layers with "Downloaded" Drawings

I posted earlier about problems with drawings that I download from commercial vendors, (Grainger, McMaster, etc).  I figured out how to get access to them:  When I convert them from .DXF to .DWG. it somehow allows me to correctly dimension them.

One more problem I have with these drawings is that although I can edit them, one of the most important things I need to be able to do is change the layer they're on.  I can't figure out how.  I usually use the "Change to Current Layer", LAYCUR, command, but it doesn't seem to work for these commecially downloaded drawings. 

They're always in "Layer 0". I've created multiple other layers that I need them in, but I can't get them to move.  When I select them and then click on the Change to Current Layer button, they just don't move.  'm drrawing in Model Space.

Anyway, this forum ALWAYS seems to provide helpful information.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Charles_Shade
in reply to: FLHX

Post one please.

And Layer 0 is not Locked by chance is it?

Message 3 of 5
pendean

Are you turning off or freezing layer 0? You should never do that in AutoCAD. Ever. Leave it on, unlocked, thawed, visible and never-ever draw anything on it you need to turn off or lock.

Message 4 of 5
FLHX

Here's one that I'm referring to.

Message 5 of 5
pendean

Seems to change to any layer I create and move the objects to: re-reread my last post, I think you are doing more that you are admitting in the top file.

Or are you not aware that you also need to change the object's color, linetype etc. as well?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost