Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Set a Default Printer in LT2013

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
JLeeSaxon
5557 Views, 13 Replies

Can't Set a Default Printer in LT2013

I've tried setting "Options" > "Plot and Publish" > "Use as default output device" to both "Default Windows System Printer" as well as "HP Officejet blah blah blah".

I've double checked that my printer is in fact set as the default windows system printer.

Nonetheless, every single time I print, "Printer/plotter" is set to "None" and I have to select my printer manually.

This is perhaps my biggest single Autocad pet peeve.

Lee Saxon
Ellis Photographic Design
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Charles_Shade
in reply to: JLeeSaxon

Have you tried PAGESETUP yet?

Or right clicked the Modelspace or Layout (when active) tab and set the Printer yet?

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 3 of 14
pendean

First time AutoCAD user? Or first time out on your own? Or it's been a while since you used AutoCAD, or a recent upgrade from a very old version that had everything set for you?

FACT: AutoCAD never has and does not allow you to set a default printer like other programs for every file you open.

Never. Plot settings are stored in each file, in each tab, separately from the system. Whether you have that printer/plotter that is defined in that file's tab or not. The file creator, or "author", has sole control. Basic AutoCAD 101.

So how does the OPTIONS setting work? Tap the HELP button on that pop-up and find out. It's very limited.

Post back and explain whether the file you are trying to plot from came from someone else, or is one you started, or one of your older templates, and if you recently changed PCs or LT versions or printers/plotters so that we can understand where you are, in order to help you get to where you need to be.

Message 4 of 14
JLeeSaxon
in reply to: pendean

>>FACT: AutoCAD never has and does not allow you to set a default printer like other programs for every file you open. Never. Plot settings are stored in each file, in each tab, separately from the system. Whether you have that printer/plotter that is defined in that file's tab or not. The file creator, or "author", has sole control. Basic AutoCAD 101.

Thanks for this, I understand now. Though "First time user?" "AutoCAD 101" felt a bit more condescending than necessary. AutoCAD has so many zillions of settings - and inexplicably hides so many of them, for example by not linking to PAGESETUP from the PRINT menu or even the OPTIONS > PLOT AND PUBLISH menu - that one hardly needs to be a n00b to be unaware of some.

I think this is a bizarre way of setting things up. It's just begging for conflicts; begging someone to set PAGESETUP to their specific printer instead of "default windows system printer" and then send it to someone who has a different printer. System-wide is 100% the right way to do default printer settings.

Oh well, I got around the problem by changing the PAGESETUP option on my default template.

>>So how does the OPTIONS setting work? Tap the HELP button on that pop-up and find out. It's very limited.

Very interesting. Sounds like PAGESETUP (or equivalent) option from pre-2000 formats isn't read correctly by modern versions and this option corrects that...

I think they need to rename it, though. It sounds like it does what PAGESETUP actually does.

Lee Saxon
Ellis Photographic Design
Message 5 of 14
Charles_Shade

That's what Page Setup is for at the top of the dialog.Smiley Wink

And it is easier to respond if we have a better understanding of your comfort with the program.

Message 6 of 14
pendean

it's hard for a reader not to add emotion to something they read: no insult intended on my part, just making it clear this is a core 20+ year way AutoCAD does things.

Autodesk does a pretty good job of adding HELP buttons on all pop-ups that go directly to the required page to explain features a user that select: and unless you turned it off, there are also pop-ups that appear explaining items if you hover for more than 0.5-second over them all around the interface. I'm honestly not sure what more they can do to get a user to look things up. If you've got any, do share.

I noticed in your reply you missed a crucial point: Autodesk through AutoCAD gives total control to the DWG file creator/originator, not the recipient, when it comes to output. That's the correct method IMHO. The trick becomes is how to get the file originator to create templates and pagesetups (separate from PAGESETUP command) to manage his/her actions and files: I think this is were training (classes, or good books, or online tutorials) come into play.

Training: vital in today's business climate.

Message 7 of 14

PAGESETUP did solve the problem on single file base.

Does that mean I have to do PAGESETUP for all the drawing to re-setup? I have thousands of drawings saved with old printer which is obsolete now. 

Message 8 of 14
pendean
in reply to: CarolineZhang3448

Yes. Or you can create named pagesetups in your template files and import them for use in existing files that don't meet your current needs.

Look up the topic "Create and Use Named Page Setups" in HELP in AutoCAD for details and this if you just want to jump right in http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/AutoCA...
Message 9 of 14
CarolineZhang3448

Thank you for your reply.

This email and any attached files are confidential and/or legally privileged and intended solely for the intended recipient(s). If you are not the named or authorized recipient you should/must not read, distribute, copy, print, disclose and/or alter this email or the contents in this email. Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the author and do not represent those of the company. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Warning: Although precautions have been taken to ensure that no viruses are present in this email or any attachments to this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage that arises from the use or receipt of this email or any such attachments.
Message 10 of 14
rkmcswain

pendean wrote:

FACT: AutoCAD never has and does not allow you to set a default printer like other programs for every file you open.

Never. Plot settings are stored in each file, in each tab, separately from the system. Whether you have that printer/plotter that is defined in that file's tab or not. The file creator, or "author", has sole control. Basic AutoCAD 101.

That is true from AutoCAD 2000 forward, but pre-AutoCAD 2000, whatever printer you last used was the "default" of sorts. There were no page setups, and the printer name was not saved in the DWG file.

Whatever was your last used printer, in effect, became the "default" for the next file you open, regardless of how you last printed that particular file.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 11 of 14
pendean
in reply to: rkmcswain

Appreciate the fact-check (insert thumbs-up icon here).
Message 12 of 14
blipfert82
in reply to: rkmcswain

This would be a really GREAT feature in AutoCAD LT 2020:

Whatever was your last used printer, in effect, became the "default" for the next file you open, regardless of how you last printed that particular file.

I am so very tired of having to select the printer (from a very long list with many similarly-sounding printers) each time I want to make a quick print. 

Message 13 of 14
pendean
in reply to: blipfert82

Did you read the actual solution posted, or is to just TLDR for you?

You can speed up the process in four ways:

Use PSETUPIN command, it has been around for 20+ years now, assuming you have taken the time to set up a template file(s) with all of your desired plot settings everywhere https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-lt/getting-started/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/...

Or just import a Layout from another file right there from your layout tab, been around since layouts have been https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-i...

Or use ADCENTER command to drag/drop predefined layouts from other files, a tip that has been around for just as long https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/AutoC...

Or always start your files from a template file that has everything already set up (or INSERT other files in the template then saveas).

Oh snap, that's five ways to solve this age old problem.

HTH

Message 14 of 14
rkmcswain
in reply to: blipfert82

@blipfert82 wrote:

I am so very tired of having to select the printer (from a very long list with many similarly-sounding printers) each time I want to make a quick print. 

You are doing it wrong then. If you are using DWG files that you control, set it once in your template drawing(s) and be done with it. If you only work on drawings authored by others (you don't control the template), then create a script to automate the page setup process. One click and you are done.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost