Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad LT 2012 locks for several minutes

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
368 Views, 10 Replies

Autocad LT 2012 locks for several minutes

We are using Autocad LT since april 2012 on a Windows 7 64 bit desktop (HP Pro 3400 MT)

For about then last 2 moths the program is locked, frequently for several minutes (up to 5 or 6 minutes), after opening the program by a doubleclick on a 'DWG' file (not a shortcut). During this period the drawing is visible, but te cursor is completely locked.

Other programs on the computer are still useable via the taskbar during this lockdown period.

What could be the cause of this problem?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

AutoCAD and/or Windows are looking for support files, and through missing or dead links and missing or relocated content etc.

So what changed on your system or network or server?
If you unplug from your network does the problem go away?
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Thank you for your Reply.

In the past few moths there where no significant changes in our network, besides the windows updates. (SBS 2008) 

After consulting with our users it came out that this problem also occurs on the other workstation which runs Autocad LT 2012.

What do you suggest to resolve this Issue?

Message 4 of 11
pendean

Do this test: move some DWG files to your Windows desktop, unplug your PC from your server/Internet, then open the file and program as you describe: still gave the same problem?
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Hello,

I have done the test as you suggested, we have disconnected the network cable from the workstation and you seem to be right, the program starts as normal.

However this is not an acceptable solution for us because we in a company network environment with multiple Autocad LT 2012 users who all work with the same drawings.

What are possible solutions for this problem?

Message 6 of 11
pendean

A test is not a solution: why would you think anyone would offer that as a solution?

It was a test: only a test. It identifies the issue as being on your network and not the program.
So, back to the original question: what changed on your server? Not just apps or updates, but also if you moved shared content or file folders for the AutoCAD users, add or drop printers/plotters, a new set of shared Toolpalettes, etc.). Start digging, we can't see over your shoulder so do your best to find out.
Message 7 of 11
drjohn

Polite version:

AutoCAD is looking for a file or folder to connect to and perhaps there is a missing target path in your TOOLS > OPTIONS > FILES tab listing.

That would be the first place I would check. At least it will eliminate one variable.

Network latency has also been idetified as an issue in previous posts similar to this.
 Maybe do a search on the forum for that, or a similar phrase.

If that isn't the problem, post back.

Regards,

DJ

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

I am having the same problem as etim67. I have had AutoCAD LT 2012 since 2011. Until recently, it has always worked well. Very stable. The program has Service Pack 2 and runs on the Windows 7 operating system, 64 bit. I am a one man home office, with a single computer. My only network is my connection to the internet.

For the last month or so, the program occassionally freezes up soon after launching it, when I first try to access a file (or do anything else). It usually comes back after 30-60 seconds, and is usually fine after that. However, sometimes I will get a message that the program is not responding. When that happens, all I can do is shut the program down and try to start over. The problem has gotten steadily worse. Now, it happens every time I open the program. I have had a suspicion that the problem could be the related to the program trying to search for information online. I have tried Dean's test of disconnecting from the internet. This seems to solve the problem! So, what is going on? drjohn suggested that there is a "missing target path in my TOOLS > OPTIONS > FILES tab listing". They may be it! But I don't know how to fix that. What would I be looking for? I'm afraid to alter anything in the FILES tab, for fear of making things worse! Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Message 9 of 11
pendean

Since the problem only started a month ago... Windows System Restore is a feature of Windows 7 and it's great at not only rolling back your PC to months when nothing was wrong but will also show you what the apps or updates are that it will uninstall. Try it, going back to two-three-four months back may be worth it for you.
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-System-Restore-on-Windows-7
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/system-restore-windows-7.htm

PS: it should not remove actual work files, but still I recommend to take the time and actively backup all your files.
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

I have used System Restore effectively in the past. I downloaded AutoCAD LT 2012 Service Pack 2 a couple of days ago, in hopes of fixing the problem. So I don't think this Service Pack 2 is part of the problem. The only other software that has downloaded onto my computer over the past couple of months (that I know of) are automatic updates for Windows 7 and for my virus protection software. I obviously need to allow automatic updates for my vrus protection software. But, do you recommend automatic updates for Windows? By the way, yesterday I performed your recommended test of disconnecting from the internet, and my problems with AutoCAD freezing up went away. Well, I reconnected to the internet, and the problem has not occurred again (so far). Does that tell you anything?

Message 11 of 11
pendean

I turn off Automatic Windows updates, and only apply them actively once a month or two when I have the time (and then only ones that have been out for a moth, never a new patch).

Remember, Microsoft ships out as many bad updates as it does good ones, so waiting a month or so for them to catch it and pull it is most helpful for us end users.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost