Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad LT 2000 in Win8/32

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
garygreen187
15996 Views, 18 Replies

Autocad LT 2000 in Win8/32

Since ACLT 2000 has a 16 bit installer which won't work on my Win7/64 setup, I researched the virtual PC / XP option but concluded that it would be too slow. So I set up a dual boot system with Win7/64 on one partition and Win8/32 just for ACLT 2000 on the other.  Using the Win7 disk management tools, I shrunk the C: partition and added a new one for Win8.  Win8 has a dual boot setup capability that was easy to use.  The ACLT install on my Win8/32 basic edition went smoothly and so far, everything works perfectly.......  except plotting. 

When I try to plot to my system printer, I get "Memory Allocation Error".  This happened before when I set up ACLT on my old Vista laptop and I was able to find a solution then but I don't remember what I did.  I'm pretty sure it should work but I haven't found the right trick yet.  Here are some things I tried:

1.  Added the plotter update patch but it didn't help.

2.  Ran the Add-a-Plotter wizard and it gave me an error message that my system printer name was too long (Brother HL-5370 series Printer .... 32 characters) and said only certain information would be saved with the configuration.  I continued and it even printed the calibration rectangle.  Yippee... it prints!  So, I went back to plot my drawing and oops, the dreaded Memory Allocation Error again.

3.  Ran the Add-a-Plotter Wizard again and tried to add the printer as a network printer instead of a system printer.  I browsed to the printer in the network devices window but when I selected it, the wizard wouldn't accept it.

4.  Changed the printer's name to Brother HL-5370DW and ran the wizard with the system printer option but this time, I get the message, "Autodesk Hardcopy Add-a-Plotter wizard has stopped working".

I really don't need a pc3 file since my system printer defaults are fine so perhaps the Add-a-Plotter wizard shouldn't be needed anyway.  But...  what next?  

PS:  My present workaround is to copyclip the drawing and paste it into a Word 2010 document, then print it from there.         

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
pendean
in reply to: garygreen187

Win7's XP mode is most likely the only true choice: search the AutoCAD 2000 forum and topics like this for help
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2000-2000i-2002-Archive/Can-I-run-AutoCAD-2000-on-Windows-7/td...
Message 3 of 19
garygreen187
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the suggestion to try XP mode so I can plot but according to several users, it is quite slow so I'll stick with Win8/32.   I did find a temporary workaround using Win8/32:

Save the drawing, open the free Autodesk TrueView software, open the drawing and plot it from there.  It takes a couple of extra mouse clicks but it's easy. 

I'm still looking for a solution to plot directly from Autocad LT 2000 in Win8/32.  Everything else seems to work.

Any help would be welcome.  

Message 4 of 19
garygreen187

Problem Solved!  My memory just kicked in about how I was able to get my previous Vista AutocAD LT 2000 to print. I had used Windows Compatibility Mode.   Windows 8, 32 bit also supports Compatibility Mode so I set Autocad LT 2000 to run in XP Compatibility Mode and it now prints just fine!

Although I haven't found a good way to install and run Autocad LT 2000 in a 64 bit, if anyone else wants to use Windows 64 bit for most of their computing but avoid spending nearly the $1000 it costs to upgrade their copy of Autocad LT 2000, here is a summary of the steps that worked for me:

1.  Purchase a copy of Windows 8, 32 bit Developer Edition for about $100

2.  In my existing copy of Windows 7, 64 bit, I used the built-in disk mamagement tools to shrink the primary partition and create a new partition for installing Windows 8, 32 bit.

3.  Install Windows 8 32 bit on the new partition.  It automatically sets up a dual boot screen on startup..

4.  Install Autocad LT 2000

5.  Right click the Autocad LT tile and choose Open File Location on the bottom of the screen.  Right click the exe program icon and choose Properties.  Select the Compatibility tab and check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and choose Windows XP service pack 3.

Message 5 of 19
designerali

I have been having such difficulty unlocking my program.  I have spoken to and emailed a few different CSR's about this and nobody can help me.  Apparently this program is too antiquated ;( I have everything that the program requires to install & register it, but when I tried registering it online (although I registered it years ago from my other computer), it kicked back a msg that I'd have to obtain the password from a CSR after giving them the "customer key" that they generated for me.  After calling several invalid #'s that were listed in my Guidebook, I finally was directed to the right helpdesk.  But without a "serial #" that is now required to unlock the program, they were unable to help me.  I emailed the help desk and they requested I take pictures of my product so they could try to help me.  I took several pictures and gave them all sorts of numbers, but received notice that they were unable to help me.  It seems everybody here has had to transfer their AutoCad Lt 2000 to another computer, has anyone had similar programs or were you able to transfer without a hitch? 

Love to hear from anyone!!  Thanks!

Allison

Message 6 of 19
garygreen187

Thanks and kudos for cracking a tough nut. My work around of dual booting into Win8/32 to use ACLT 2000 is solid but does require a restart since I normally work in Win7/64. Since I'm already fully operational, I'll stick with my present configuration. However, if I ever need to install it on a 64 bit Windows OS, I'll use your procedure.
Message 7 of 19
eatvitaminc

(Deleted and reposted with a clarification on step 7)

How I installed my AutoCAD LT 2000 on Windows 8 64-bit (NO VIRTUAL PC).  Hope this helps.

1.  Copy the entire install CD onto hard drive (in a subfolder of course.  I put it on the D partition)

2.  Copy newer install shield SETUP.EXE or SETUP32.EXE to the main install folder (replace old SETUP.EXE)
    (See attachments below)

3.  Set compatibility SETUP32.exe to:
 - Windows 98
 - Run as administrator

5.  Run SETUP32.EXE and install.
 - Enter the Serial Number and CD-key
 - Change the install folder to something respectable, "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoCAD LT 2000
 - Set Options as you would NEXT, NEXT, NEXT

ERRORS I received and ignored:
 - "Cannot create folder while copying file objdbx.z"
 - "Cannot create folder "AutoCAD LT 2000"  <--- This is the Start Menu folder
 - "Command line option syntax error. Type Command /? for Help."  <-- unknown

6.  Once installed allow computer to restart.

7.  Do a or b
    a.  From an existing installation, copy the files:
        From:  "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared" (existing working install)
        To:  "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoCAD LT 2000" folder (new install computer)

b.  If you don't have access to an existing working install on an older computer, copy the files from the install disk folder:
        To:  "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoCAD LT 2000"
        (List of files to copy are attached below in "Comon-AutoDesk Shared Folder.txt")

8.  Goto "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoCAD LT 2000" folder and loate aclt.exe
    a.  Right-click and hit properties.  Set Compatibility Mode to Windows XP
    b.  Create a shortcut to aclt.exe for launching (remember setup failed to create a start menu shortcut)

9.  When opening a file associated to AutoCAD, I get the error, "There was a problem sending the command to the program."
    This is caused by Windows trying to pass DDE data when opening the file in compatibility mode.

FIX:
    a.  Create a ACAD.bat in C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoCAD LT 2000.  Put just this line in the batch file:
            START "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoCAD LT 2000\aclt.exe" %1

b.  Run "Program Defaults" (hit the start button on the keyboard and type "Program Defaults"

c.  Click, "Associate a file type or protocol with a program"

d.  Change the .dwg and .dxf to open with the ACAD.bat file

e.  The icon will be wrong.  Leave or download a program such as this to change the icons for .dwg and .dxf
        http://defaultprogramseditor.com/files/DefaultProgramsEditor.zip

Installation is complete and there should be no error messages opening the file.  You will likely get the Windows 8 User Account Control message.  This comes up when running the program in compatibility mode.  I don't know how to whitelist just that program so I just deal with that issue.

NOTES
 - You need your Serial Number and CD-Key, just like a normal installation.
 - I needed to copy the "Common Files\Autodesk Shared" folder from my a good installation on my XP computer
 - This was installed successfully on Windows 8 (non pro), 64-bit
 - I haven't tested on Windows 7, but it may install similarly
 - So far I have opened old files and

ATTACHED:
 - Is3Engine.zip (SETUP.exe InstallSheild)
 - Is5Launcher.zip (SETUP32.exe InstallSheild)  <-- This one worked for me
 - Comon-AutoDesk Shared Folder.txt  <-- List of files in the AutoDesk Shared Folder

Hope this helps some having troubles,
Sydney

Message 8 of 19
pendean
in reply to: eatvitaminc

This easier method works best for anyone trying to run older AutoCAD versions in Win7 or Win8 32bit or 64bit:
http://www.longbowsoftware.com/Converter.php
Message 9 of 19
ac
Community Visitor

I have use the step posted by eatvitaminc which is based on garygreen187 and our LT 2000 is working without hiccups. Don't even need to do the step no 9. Install by using installshield 3 on a win8 64bit Pro. Thanks very much!

Message 10 of 19
ricardoj01_
in reply to: ac

Would someone upload the full package or original ISO i own a personal license and lost original CD as i see this version is not longer supported please someone help me out, can't find it!! My Best Regards
Message 11 of 19
ricardoj01_
in reply to: eatvitaminc

Would someone upload the full package or original ISO somewhere i own a personal license and lost original CD as i see this version is not longer supported please someone help me out, can't find it!! My Best Regards
Message 12 of 19
pendean
in reply to: ricardoj01_

eBay might be your best chance: that software it just too old in this year 2016.
Message 13 of 19

I recently dusted off AutoCadLT 2000 from my archives and ran across a post here which helped me perform the install on a Win 10 machine.  Everything works fine, except I can't setup a printer (Memory allocation error pops up and locks up AutoCadLT).  My printer is a Bluetooth-connected HP color inkjet and I also have Nitro Pro 9 .pdf creator installed.  I'm pretty sure I can hook up my HP via USB if I choose, but Nitro doesn't work either and that's a network device.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Message 14 of 19

Are you using a Windows 10, 64 bit version or 32 bit? If you installed AutoCAD LT 2000 on a 64 bit version, I can’t help you. I acquired an older 32 bit Windows 7 or 8 license key, upgraded it to Windows 10 32 bit, then installed Autocad LT 2000 using the CD’s 16 bit installer. In it’s native 32 bit environment, everything works. I also have a 64 bit version of Windows 10 on the same machine, set up to dual boot. As I understand it, Microsoft will still upgrade you to Windows 10 (either 32 or 64 bit versions, your choice) for free. Sorry if this is obvious to you.
Message 15 of 19
pendean
in reply to: aeroengineerH789K

LT2000 required a specific plotter update to be installed for the software to be fully functional with Windows printer drivers. Did you happen to archive that too?

Also... read this http://autode.sk/1IY4C2X

and this http://www.howtogeek.com/228689/how-to-make-old-programs-work-on-windows-10/

Message 16 of 19
aeroengineerH789K
in reply to: pendean

I looked at all the links but found nothing on downloading a Windows plotter update. I did search the web and found something in the Czech Republic but couldn’t install. Something in English with small words would be useful. Btw, I’m running Windows 10. Thank you.
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous

nothing to do with Autodesk

if you can't find anything what are you expecting?

Message 18 of 19
aeroengineerH789K
in reply to: Anonymous

It’s an AutoCad-Windows problem that I was told AutoDesk had an update for 19 years ago. I just can’t find anything. It does have to do with Auto Desk.
Message 19 of 19
pendean

LT2000 is not supported in WIn10 and never will be, it means Autodesk will never ever address any issues you have http://autode.sk/1IY4C2X

LT2000 support also vanished from Autodesk over a decade ago, so they don't keep downlaods for you, they expect you to do so. Again, you are out of luck expecting anything from Autodesk.

>>>...found something in the Czech Republic but couldn’t install...<<<
That's a problem on your end that you need to resolve sadly, it works fine here https://www.cadstudio.cz/dl_file.asp?ID=25

Google Search says... https://www.cadmasters.com/techsupp/Acad/acad.html (you don't have to log in to get the download).

Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost