Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCad 2012 LT - Line type scale between model and paper space

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Geobetan
9332 Views, 5 Replies

AutoCad 2012 LT - Line type scale between model and paper space

After some years, I am back behind a computer and drawing.  My last level of AutoCad proficiency was Release 14.  I have now purchased AutoCad 2012 LT and I am having difficulties with my linetype scales between different (PS) layouts.  Since these are just plans, elevations and sections (all at the same scale) all of my viewports are scaled at 1/4"=1'-0".  

I created a drawing at 1:1 in model speace and adjusted certain layers to draw a dashed line at .25 scale.  The first layout I created displays the lines correctly as drawn on model space. They look as desired.  

The properties for my first viewport are (this one is how I need  it it):    

Line type scale at: .100

Annotation scale: 1:1

Standard Scale at: 1/4"=1'-0".

My second viewport has the following:

Line type scale:  .100

Annotation scale: 1/4"= 1'-0"

Standard Scale at: 1/4"=1'-0"

I tried changeing the properties to match the first viewport,m but have been unsuccessful.  I have noticed that when I do a Line type Sacale change to 1:1 (from 48) I do get a layout that show the dash lines correctly.

Help

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Geobetan

The treatise by Bobs-Ur-Uncle: ( If he truly is Modman_4)

<< Are you on 2008 or newer? If so, you start in modelspace with CANNOSCALE set to 1/4" = 1'-0", or whatever overall scale you use the most. Most of my overall drawings will use 1/8" or 1/4" scales.
Next, remove all linetype scale overrides and set LTSCALE, MSLTSCALE, PSLTSCALE & CELTSCALE all to 1.
Next, test out the different linetypes in modelspace to see if certain ones work for you for most cases. AutoCAD ships with 3 variations of most linetypes. This will probably not work for the batting linetype, but will be a good drawing practice that once you get it set, you may want to create a template from it. Also, it may not appear to work in your current drawing -- you may want to try a regen, and if that doesn't work, you may want to start with your clean template, do all of the above steps, and then COPYBASE the contents of the existing drawing into the new one.

Now, in modelspace you can adjust the linetype scaling of the batting linetype to fit within your wall. It may be a different scale from one wall width to the next though. If the other factors are all set as noted above, then what you see in modelspace should be what you see in any viewport in paperspace.

Before 2008, you would override the linetype scale in modelspace first, then apply a global adjustment by the inverse of the viewport scale, but this only applies to one viewport scale (so other viewports with different scales won't show the linetype the same). By changing PSLTSCALE to 1, you are saying you want paperspace to detect it's scale and adjust how the linetype is viewed accordingly, making it view the same in all viewports no matter what their scale. When you use this, you set LTSCALE to 1 (this is the global linetype you are setting).

So it is still best to start with everything set to 1, and test out your linetypes in modelspace to see what looks best to you. If you are on 2008 or newer, then adjust your CANNOSCALE on typical linetypes like hidden, center, phantom etc and pick one of the 3 of each that works best. This is to avoid overriding the linetype scale. But on 2007 or older, you have to find which scale override works best for you, and then set your CELTSCALE to that scale. After either of these that fits your case, then draw a batting line and adjust it's scale to suit you, using the override.

I hope I haven't been too confusing lol... >>

Search the topic hear and find more. Many have needed to make these changes for the newer version of CAD. This does offer far more flexibility in presentation but takes some getting used to.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 3 of 6
Geobetan
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Charles,

Thank you so much!  I followed all of your steps, performed a regen in model space and now I can see all my linetypes the same in model and layout spaces.

I have another question on momochrome printing that I will post later today.  I just can't seem to setup all my layers to print black.  I see a variety of gray shades when I plot to my windows printer or to PDF.

Thanks again,

George

Message 4 of 6
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: Geobetan

<---Guilty as charged. Man I used to be long-winded lol...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 5 of 6

May have been wordy but it is the only thing that made sense to me which is why it is saved in a CAD Customization Notepad file on my desktop for easy reference.

Message 6 of 6
Geobetan
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Thanks!  Great idea, I will maintain a Cad folder for all such items.

Thanks again, George

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost