Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD lt., 2008, Scales in PDF format Incorrectly

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Hope2010
847 Views, 16 Replies

AutoCAD lt., 2008, Scales in PDF format Incorrectly

Yesterday, I sent a drawing that I scaled as 1/2" = 1'-0" in an Adobe PDF, and was told by the receiver that the drawing scale was off by 3-4% when they measured it. Hoping that is was the printer's problem, I sent a drawing from  another file to FEDEX, and went and scaled that one myself. Sure enough, it's off. It doesn't matter whether it is windowed or brought in a paper space viewport. It's just not right. Any help would be appreciated.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Hope2010

One file or all files?

Can you post an example drawing?

Are you using the built in DWG to PDF or a third party PDF driver?

Message 3 of 17
Hope2010

Thank you Charles for responding to my inquiry. 

Yes, it appears to be all drawings in from at least three different files. 

It is going from my DWG to a Plot file from my Computer then sent as a PDF to an outside client who prints it off of their printer, but the same thing occured when I sent it to FEDEX.

Message 4 of 17
pendean

You are describing a commonf PDF rpinting issue from most PDF viewers: the user is not paying atttention to a default setting in most PDF drivers where the PAPER SCALING option is not actively set to NONE (it is by default set to FIT or SHRINK).

BTW, your entire 1/2" scale page does not print with NONE scaling set because you printed it much larger than a PDF margin will allow. probably why your client did what they did.

See screenshots. Either plot to a larger sheet size or split your floor plan into multiple PDF sheets: and remind the client about using the NONE scaling option.

Message 5 of 17
Hope2010
in reply to: pendean

My AutoCAD Lt. does not give an option for FIt to Printable Area.

The Drawings is small and well within the page allotment or at least I would think so given the drawing size compared to the paper. 

Please see the screen shots I took.

Many thanks for your input.

Message 6 of 17
dgorsman

Pssst: "screen shot" is done with screen capture, not a camera.  You can use the "PRT SCR" key on your keyboard, then open Paint or another program and paste.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 17
Charles_Shade

Its not LT that is the issue it is the PDF Viewer that the end user is using.

This is from Foxit

PDF Print.jpg

Message 8 of 17
Hope2010
in reply to: dgorsman

I was wondering how that was done. Unfortunately, I don't think my AutoCAD Lt. 2008 is equipped with this feature.?
It won't let me type in PRT SCR in the command line without dropping off when I use the space bar between PRT and SCR, and
it's not showing up in any of the tool bar scrolls.

Thank you for telling me. Hopefully, someday when I can upgrade I'll get to use it!
Message 9 of 17
Charles_Shade

Print Screen is on your keyboard above the Insert key, not in LT.

I use a third party program called Gadwin Printscreen; works very well.

Message 10 of 17

OP you might also want to look into how to set your plot margins to zero for the intended paper size.

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 11 of 17
pendean

Your original PDF prints fine and to SCALE, it just does not fit on paper as defined by the PDF viewer I used.

Test this yourself, you really don't need anyone here to do it for you: open the PDF on your workstation, start printing and testing. Then walk your recipient through the exact steps. Just remember to use NONE got scale in your PDF viewer. You can do it, get started.
Message 12 of 17
Hope2010
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Thank you, Charles, I contacted FEDEX and they reprinted making sure it was "Print to Actual Size" and now it scales perfectly. It was just an odd quirk of fate it happened at two different companies at the same time.?
Message 13 of 17
Hope2010
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Thank YOU AGAIN! For some reason when I press the?? Print Screen on my keyboard there is no reaction. So I downloaded the Gadwin PrintScreen 4 program so hopefully that will be easy to learn. Many Many Thanks for?all your attention and patience!
Message 14 of 17
Hope2010
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Thank you! I am going to try out your suggestion and see if that makes a difference when printing out my next room.
FEDEX had the Fit to Page button pressed so that's why it was scaling incorrectly.
Message 15 of 17
Hope2010
in reply to: pendean

It's now all set. FEDEX had SCALE TO FIT instead of PRINT ACTUAL SIZE. It just was dumb luck that it was happening with two different companies.
?
I don't have my own printer so I couldn't test it myself.
?
Thank you for your coaching!
Message 16 of 17
pendean

Glad it worked out.
Message 17 of 17
dgorsman

You're right, therre is no "reaction" to the Print screen button.  It just grabs a visual copy of the desktop onto the Windows clipboard.  You can then paste the image into Paint or another graphic editor.

Incidentally, one of the main reasons to have a scale bar (not to mention, clear correct and logical dimensions) on a drawing is to compensate for exactly the problem you were experiencing.  Doesn't matter if the drawing is shrunk, blown up, etc. since the scale bar will be changed by the same proportions.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost