Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2015 - Save As issues

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
2880 Views, 14 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2015 - Save As issues

Hi All,

Hope somebody can help me. I have recently upgraded to AutoCAD LT 2015 and works a dream but I keep coming up against the same problem whenever I seem to do a save as. When i modify a DWG and want to do a save as I select the new folder i want it to save into but for some reason it keeps on duplicating the same new file I have saved and saves a copy in the old location aswell???

Is this something that has been built into 2015 or can i switch it off on a setting somewhere?

Many thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
rkmcswain
in reply to: Anonymous

What exact command are you using and how are you calling the command (from the application menu, QAT, typing it in, etc.)?

Note that the "Save" command creates a copy of the current drawing, if you choose a location different than where the current drawing is saved.

SaveAs does the same thing, except switches you to the newly saved drawing location.

Qsave will save the currently loaded drawing to the same location.

More detail: http://cadpanacea.com/node/81
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: rkmcswain

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I am not typing any command in. I am just clicking on the save as icon with the pencil and chosing a new location to save it. Once i click this it saves the file in the new location but it creates a duplicate and saves the duplicate in the current location which i don't want it to do.

I previously did the same as what i'm doing now on AutoCAD LT 2013 and 2014 and never had this happen before. I'm not doing any different to what I normally would.

Thanks

Message 4 of 15
pendean

Again, what command are you using? Watch the command like, AutoCAD/LT types it out after you click the button.
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Once the icon is clicked it comes up as _SAVEAS

Message 6 of 15
rkmcswain

liam.leonard wrote:

I am not typing any command in. I am just clicking on the save as icon with the pencil

But what command is that executing? It would help to know.

Also, try typing in the 3 different save commands. Any different results?

Message 7 of 15
rkmcswain

liam.leonard wrote:
Once the icon is clicked it comes up as _SAVEAS

Well there you go. SaveAs creates a copy of the drawing in a different location that the drawing loaded in the editor (unless you specify the same location).

For example, you open C:\Temp\DrawingA and work on it then run SaveAs and specify the filename C:\My Documents\DrawingA. Now the one in My Documents is current and the one in \Temp is the same as it was when you opened it.

Message 8 of 15
pendean

SAVEAS doesn't remove the original copy and if your autosave kicked in while you were editing can make it appear as though you are saving twice. Is that your issue?
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Sorry guys I don't follow,

By saving the edited drawing in a new location (SAVEAS) I know it won't save over the original drawing I am working on but I don't see how it will save the file twice with the new file name (One in it's new location where i want it to save and the a duplicated one in the folder it currently sits).

It has never done this before.  

Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All,

Is this something that has been built into 2015 or can i switch it off on a setting somewhere?

Many thanks

No.  As far as I can tell, this is not something "built into 2015". 😉

Are you saving back to a previous version?  Perhaps you could copy/paste your F2 screen (command history) for us to see?

Message 11 of 15
pendean

I can't replicate here in LT2015 in Win7 at all. Sorry, you've got something unusual going on: what's your hardware and OS setup? where are you saving these files to?
Message 12 of 15
braudpat

Hello

Just a few questions :

- You are running your LT 2015 on which Window exactly : Win Seven, Win 8.0, Win 8.1 ?

- When you try to save elsewhere with the _SAVEAS command : is it on your Hard Disk or on a logical unit (Network) ?

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

I have 2015 LT and I am having trouble with the "Saveas", in just the last few days. 

It is trying to save as the same name and overwrite.

Is there a setting that I may be missing ?

Message 14 of 15
pendean

It always does that: you need to type in a new name to avoid it: so what exactly is the challenge?
Are you perhaps noticing there is no pop-up, only a commandline? If so, set FILEDIA variable to 1 to fix that problem.
Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

Basically that I am applying material to only a face on a wall object, and when I close out program and restart its not on the wall face, Im not having an issue with applying materials to layers just faces. So when the computer is closed and restart the saved work is like it wasn't done. Anyone know why this is?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost