Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2014 is converting files to 'read-only' after saving.

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
suzamata
4651 Views, 18 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2014 is converting files to 'read-only' after saving.

I installed LT 2014 two days ago. It seemed to be going smoothly, but yesterday I realized that every file that is saved in AutoCAD LT2014 is converted to read-only. This happens whether I am saving locally to my computer or to the network server. I still have my old copy of LT 2007 installed, and tested the issue out with the old program, which opens and saves without a problem. I checked to make sure the 2014 LT dialogue box for opening files was not toggled to 'open as read-only'. I've checked my file permissions in Windows. Please help, this is a bummer. 

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
pendean
in reply to: suzamata

Is it actually setitng each file's properties as 'read-only' in Windows (thus locking it from editing by any other program, even LT2007)?

or does LT2014 simply not let you save the file and throw up a 'file locked' error message?

or LT2014 will not let you open a file saying it is locked but you can open the same exact file just fine in LT2007?

AND... are yous etting the file save format by default to 2007?
Message 3 of 19
suzamata
in reply to: pendean

"Is it actually setitng each file's properties as 'read-only' in Windows (thus locking it from editing by any other program, even LT2007)?"

--Yes, I can open, save, and close a file in LT 2007. Then, open the same file, save, and close it in LT 2014. After that, I get an 'file is in use or read- only' message when opening in both 2007 and 2014.

.."or does LT2014 simply not let you save the file and throw up a 'file locked' error message?"

--I can open it once in LT 2014 and save it. Then it locks. 

"AND... are you setting the file save format by default to 2007?"

--My files are set to save to 2000 LT format. 

Message 4 of 19
pendean

AFAIK no software program can lock a file in the operating system like that, let alone LT2014.

LT2007's message is more likely consistent with LT2014 leaving behind DWL or DWL2 files: LT2014 is not correctly closing perhaps? It's still open and holding on to your files? To confirm, select one of these 'locked' files in WIndows Explorer, right-click, select PROPERTIES and see if the ATTRIBUTES>READ ONLY box is checked or not.
Message 5 of 19
suzamata

Message 6 of 19
pendean

So restarting your computer does not release these 'locked' files to LT2007 to use?
Message 7 of 19
suzamata

Rebooting does not help -- I can only open 'read-only, in both LT 2007 and LT 2014.

Message 8 of 19
pendean

Two things to try:
- First, do this: http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2012/07/the-easiest-way-to-reset-autocad.html
- If that did not help, create a new Windows User profile with Admin Rights and test 2014 and 2007 to see if you can replicate the issue.
Message 9 of 19
suzamata

Okay, I reset LT 2014 to default settings, unfortunately it didn't help. I'm running my computer as an administator already. 

The problem does seem to occur only when I am saving to the network using LT2014. I can save locally to my hard drive with no problems in LT 2014. I've been running LT2007 all day long without a hitch, so this issue is with LT2014 only.

Message 10 of 19
DarrenP

@suzamata wrote:

The problem does seem to occur only when I am saving to the network using LT2014. I can save locally to my hard drive with no problems in LT 2014.

then this could be a problem with your network

There are several potential causes for this problem:

1. Client computers that are significantly faster than the server
  2. Virus software configuration
  3. Heavy  network traffic
  4. Server is overloaded with other tasks at the time of the problem
  5. Outdated network adapter drivers
  6. Incorrect network adapter driver settings
  7. Intermittent connectivity (switch, hub, router, cable)

Suggestions for resolving this problem:

1. Upgrade the server.
  2. Put the file server on the same subnet as the client machines.
  3. Use a dedicated file server.
  4. Update network adapter drivers.
  5. Verify that all network settings are correct.
  6. Exclude real-time file scanning of Autodesk files types on the server.
  7. If  using third-party network software, ensure that it is up-to-date.
  8. Ensure that the drawing is not set as read-only.
  9. Ensure that the drawing is not in use by somebody else.

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 19
suzamata
in reply to: DarrenP

Thanks. I have checked to make sure drawings are not set as read-only and that files aren't in use. It's a two-person office, so there isn't heavy network traffic. Everything has been working fine until I installed LT2014 three days ago. All other programs work fine opening and saving to the dedicated file server.

I'm not sure what else to do besides uninstall the new program. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.
Message 12 of 19
DarrenP

another solution was to recreate your windows user profile

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 19
pendean

You must try a new Windows log-in/profile: they do get corrupt sometimes too.
Message 14 of 19
suzamata

Just to update: I believe the issue is related to Autodesk 360 Sync since disabling it seems to have fixed the "locking" issue. I hope that's all it was/is -- I can live without that feature. Thank you again for your help.
Message 15 of 19
pendean

Since I use it and have it turned on an don't see this problem at all, perhaps it's something within it you have?
Are you logged in? Or have auto uploads on? That may help others that want the feature.
Message 16 of 19
cbeattie

I'm having exactly the same problem with my files defaulting to 'read only' when I go back into them and I'm running on a stand-alone system.  I've checked the properties of my files as suggested and the boxes are blank.  I guess I'll try shutting off the Autodesk 360 too.  So far the only work around has been to save them with a new name - but that is a pain especially when using x-ref files.

Message 17 of 19
Mslacat
in reply to: cbeattie

cbeatte, did this work for you?  I have the same problem.  How did you turn off Autocad 360

Message 18 of 19
cbeattie
in reply to: Mslacat

Yes, it did work for me. As I recall I went into the control panel and deleted the AutoCAD 360 from the program listing. I haven't figured out a way to shut off the pop-up that keep reminding me install the update, but I see there is a lot of Google traffic on that subject. You might just do a search for that. Good luck!

Message 19 of 19
akinka
in reply to: cbeattie

I am having the same problem with AutoCAD LT 2017.  Files are being saved as Read Only.  Any suggestions for a fix?  Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost