Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT 2014 export/import individual layers to GIS

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
rowan.murphy04
9622 Views, 2 Replies

AutoCAD LT 2014 export/import individual layers to GIS

Hi all,

I am very new to AutoCAD (1 day of playing around).

My company is an independant environmental consultancy company that uses GIS (QGIS/shapefiles/.dxf is compatable) to create maps etc. We are generally sent AutoCAD .dwg or .dxf from out clients for the technical drawings of their projects. I have a few questions:

1. The files I am sent are not georeferenced, no background map, no connection with the real world, is there a better way to georeference these drawings than the "Set Location" tab (this is a good tool if I could set the location before I begin, but it only has 1 point of reference and when the client sends a road alignment, for example, the single point of reference does not allow me to keep consistent scale/orientation etc?
  2. If the client sends a drawing with many layers (bore holes/road/solar panals/site office/power lines) how do I seperate these layers from one another and export them as individual .dxf for use in our GIS and mapping programs?

Thanks to anyone who is able to assist!

Rowan

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

1. Ask your client to reference the files to a location for you. This would be the best way to have the information that you need and if it is a matter of them not knowing how it sounds like you have a good start to teach them though not ideal. This is a nice feature but it is a bit inexact. Autodesk Civil would really be the program for you but it does have a huge learning curve. If nothing else they can start froma  specified point and draw with a UCS relative to the site.

2. Look into the Layer Tools in Help. There are several ways to accomplish what you ask. Layer States being the most obvious.

Good Luck.

Message 3 of 3
pendean
in reply to: rowan.murphy04

Actually, for #2 as you describe it, there is no such feature in AutoCAD/LT: you will need to manually set each layer on/thawed, freeze all the other layers, then WBLOCK (for DWG) or DXFOUT (for DXF) and manually select trhe objects on screen to create unique single-layer files.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost