Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2012LT problem with opening dwg read only

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
dohnalradek
1032 Views, 6 Replies

AutoCAD 2012LT problem with opening dwg read only

We have a problem with using our AutoCAD LT 2012 on our the network:

If a folder on the network is for the designer read-only, AutoCAD file open and reports the error "drawing file is not valid". Designers who have write-access to this folder open files with the same version AutoCAD (LT 2012) without a problem. If I add write-access right to users to this folders, he open it fine.

The problem is only with network folders (sharing Win2008 server); if it is a local folder with read-only access, AutoCAD will recognize it and offer opening for reading only. This version (LT 2012 SP2) has apparently some problem with access to network folders with read-only rights.

If the file is opened via the "Open read-only" from the pull-down menu in the Open AutoCAD dialogue, it works well. This approach is however very inconvenient - designer finds a link to a file in our information system, he wants to open the file, but get the above error.

Copy the file to local disk isnt usually possible, because of using XREFs files, which he also need to load.

The problem is possibly in an attempt to create a DWL file. We didnt use the function WhoHas, so that a possible solution would be to disable the creation of these DWL files. But this option in ACad LT 2012 isnt possible.

Is is solution to migrate to new AutoCAD LT 2014?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cadmanj
in reply to: dohnalradek

I recommend the info on this page:
ie. Make his pc not create the dwl file by moving WHOHAS.arx out of the search path, this works for LT2009 after a restart - I just tested it

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?55081-is-it-possible-to-diasable-dwl-file-creation
Message 3 of 7
dohnalradek
in reply to: cadmanj

The problem is, that in new version of LT (2012-..) file WHOHAS.arx not exist...

Message 4 of 7
Charles_Shade

WHOHAS the Command does seem to be available in LT 2014.

I do not use a network so cannot test.

In your second sentence you state that those with read-write access have no issue.

Does the one seat having problem have read access? If not then your solution would seem to be folder permissions or Network access.

Message 5 of 7
pendean

Is there an additional network/server setting that is being missed? It would appear more than just no-write is set (your user should be able to open DWG files inside email messages and on disks which are all tagged as read-only for example). Perhaps you need to assign a temp folder or something similar?
Except for the classic tip offered above (not sure it still applies), there is little else AutoCAD can do since local drives behave differently.
Message 6 of 7
dohnalradek
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Its not a problem of read - write rights.
One part of designers need write access to this network folder (they edit DWG files). And second part of designer need read access only to this folder (they viewing DWG only).

Problem is, that Autocad is unable to correctly read read-access of network folder and report error message.
Message 7 of 7
dohnalradek

Network address, that make a problem, is UNC type (i.e. \\server\projects\).

Local address (i..e c:\) or network address (i.e. h:\) works fine.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost