Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto updating dimensions in viewports

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
cdmiske
2308 Views, 4 Replies

Auto updating dimensions in viewports

recently switched over to AutoCAD 2013 from 2012. A time svae feature I used extensively in 2012 was the auto update feature for dimensions. My workflow is to set up a base plan then xRef that plan to my various sheets where needed in viewport in paperspace. If I set my DIMASSOOC to (2) and then dimension in paperspace I was able to auto update the dimensions with any changes by simply double clicking in the viewport window then switching back to paperspace. I have spent some time researching this feature today without any answers. Would this be just a bug in the new version or is it a feature that has been disabled?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: cdmiske

I never heard of such a method of updating dimensions: where did you pick it up from? Quite intriguing.

-DIMSTYLE command's Apply sub-option does what you want.

Message 3 of 5
cdmiske
in reply to: pendean

I actually discovered it by complete accident. While experimenting to develop a template system for one of our clients we do design work for. I originally found that the dims would auto update in viewports when objects were drawn in model space and dimensioned in paper space. So through a few trials and errors I eventually, again by accident, found that if an object was xref'd into another drawing the dimensions would automatically update to the modified dimension points by simply double clicking in the viewport to edit in model space then closing the viewport.

This simple little feature saved me a lot of time. I typically am creating 20 sheet construction sets that have to be modified several times on the base plans. When you have to go through 20 sheets to correct all your dimensions where the client has asked to change locations of walls or have to correct something that may not be drawn correctly takes you valuable time. On an average I was able to save $100 per project using this method. When you develop over 50 projects a year this becomes some substantial savings and a decent increase in profit.

So I was hoping that through the forums someone might know of a new command that turns on and off this feature. It may have been completely removed as well. There was limited documentation on this feature for AutoCAD 2012 in some third party books but was just a part of the program. Any advice on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Message 4 of 5
cdmiske

UPDATE:

The feature I am referring to still works. If you draw an object in model space and use paper space to dimension the object it works. The DIMASSOC set to (2) scales the dim to the viewport scale. Still cannot get the dims to auto update snap points on an xref though. This may have been a "bug" in 2012. I have started an inquiry with Tech support to look into the xref issue I am having with the dimensions auto updating. If I find an answer I will post in on this thread.

Message 5 of 5
cdmiske

I have rcieved a reply from Tech Support on the "Glitch".

Good morning Chris-

I sent your information to Autodesk and they did not know anything about this. They said that they didn’t think it was supposed to do that in 2012, but they will see if they can add it to an update or hotfix in the future. I will go ahead and note this in the support case and close it out. They usually don’t let us know when updates are released so I always tell everyone to keep an eye on the service packs and updates page.

So for anyone who uses viewports with xrefs and dimensions in paper space in 2012. There is a glitch that allows you to be able to use the DIMASSOC setting on (2) and have the dimensions snap to your updated points with your xrefs. Simply double click within the viewport of the dims you want to update in paper space and then close the view port back to paper space and the dims will snap to their new position. This is a glitch that I discovered by complete accident and have exploited it ever sense.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost