Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Publish does not generate anything for me???

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
BOSTON83
886 Views, 13 Replies

Auto Publish does not generate anything for me???

I am wanting to set up my cad so that when I save a file,  a *.pdf file (with the same name as the saved *.dwg file) is automatically generated and dropped in a specific folder.  I think that the auto publish should do this for me, but have been unable to get it to generate anything.  When I hit save it is promting me to do the publish, then after I say yes, it shows a brief status bar as if it is working, but when I try to go to the folder to which the publish option is mapped it is still empty.  Does anyone else use this feature or a feature that is similar and can do the job for me?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Charles_Shade
in reply to: BOSTON83

Are you using DWG to PDF to create the PDF?

Do you note the file that the PDF is Published to? If you look under the Publish Options choice in the Publish window you can set the Location for the PDF to default to. This may be different than what you are looking for.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 3 of 14
BOSTON83
in reply to: Charles_Shade

We are using (or trying to use) the "Auto Publish" option under the Plot and Publish tab of the options menue.  The settings I currently have in practice are as follows:

AUTO PUBLISH OPTIONS

Publish on is set to (Prompt on save)

Location is set to (a specific folder on my desktop)

Include is set to (Layouts)  **we save everything in a layout view for printing purposes.**

GENERAL DWF/PDF OPTIONS

File format is set to (PDF)

Type is set to (Single-sheet file)

Layer information is set to (Don't include)

Merge control is set to (Lines overwrite)

DWF DATA OPTIONS

Password protection is set to (Disabled)

Block information is set to (Don't Include)

Block template file is set to (N/A)

From auto cad everything seems to be working, it prompts and asks if we would like to publish, then aftre we say yes it shows a status bar briefely as if it is generating the *.pdf file, but when we go to the folder designated on my desktop there is no *.pdf file.  I apologize for the lengthy explanation.  I am not sure if this is the best option for us to use as we are merely trying to get a picture (in this case a *.pdf file) of our prints (layout views of the *dwg files that we create) that we can use to link to our shops software which automatically looks for a *.pdf file when an order is placed.  If anyone has another soltion or knows how to get the Auto Publish option to work your insight would be greatly appreciated.

Message 4 of 14
Charles_Shade

Your setup works fine here on a drawing file and Publishes to the File I request.

Does Publish thru the Layout tabs work as you need?

Message 5 of 14
BOSTON83

Interesting,  I am still unable to generate the *.pdf file.  I am using windows 7 and the AutoCad version is 2013 LT.  I wonder if I have some type of compatability issue or if this is something that the LT version will not do?  Are you using Windows 7 and an AutoCad LT version on your system?  I may need to contact someone in support and make sure it is not some kind of software or installment glitch...?

Message 6 of 14
Charles_Shade

I updated my signature to answer that.

I am thinking install since I have no issue here with AUTOPUBLISH.

Does the normal Publish from Layouts work for you? Choose a couple Layouts, Right click, choose Publish...

Message 7 of 14
BOSTON83

Im not sure that I follow the "normal publish from layouts method" that you are asking me to try.  Where should I select the layouts?  Should I be seeing an option to Publish when I right click the layout tab?  I apologize if I am not following you properly, I am new to the Publish options.

Message 8 of 14
Charles_Shade

Assuming that you have two or more Layout tabs for various pages of your drawing.

Select one and then Ctrl click one or more additional.

Right click on a highlighted Tab and choose Publish (this should be the only plot option available)

Does Publish work from this menu?

Message 9 of 14
BOSTON83

Ahh, found the Publish option, and tried to publish through this menue, and still didnt actually create the *.pdf file.  It showed the windows "thinking" icon for the mouse cursor, but then when it was finished, still no file in my folder.  So it does not work through this menu/method either.  It seems the Publish command in general is not working properly...any ideas as to why this may be?

Thank you for your time,

Boston 

Message 10 of 14
Charles_Shade

You are using DWG to PDF.pc3 correct from the Layout tabs?

Try a repair install of AutoCAD.

There obviously something hosed up in the program.

Message 11 of 14
BOSTON83

I will try a repair from the CD latter this afternoon.  Thank you again for all of your time on this stuff, you have been a great help.

Thank you,

Boston

Message 12 of 14
RTRLaverty

I have this problem aswell. When I plot from layout to pdf I get a pdf but it saves by default to My Documents. This is a real problem as often I am required to regenerate pdf files for minor changes several times and if I have shut down autocad and started it again it goes back to my documents for save location. Of course if I am not extreamly carefull i end up sending un updated work from the dwg folder and look stupid to the customers I am doing it for. Most of my customers hand draft and look at any such error without sympathy. It happens a lot.

Why would anyone want to save all pdf files in my documents anyways?

I was hoping the autopublish would solve this as it does have the save pdf to dwg folder option but though it tells me the plot and publish job is complete and generates a log file that confirms this, when I check the folder autopublish has not overwriten the files.

I am working with a fresh install of autocad and have all my updates. I am sure this is not a hosed install.

Message 13 of 14
pendean
in reply to: RTRLaverty

Autopublish, like when you close a file a PDF is created for you by the program?

or PUBLISH command, the one you deliberately launch and use actively (much like PLOT to a PDF you noted)?

Microsoft insists we all use My Documents, not Autodesk: but I don't rely on "auto" anything when my reputation with a customer is on the line. I prefer to deliberately PLOT or PUBLISH, get what I need, and deliver it to the client after I review it. Your thoughts?

Message 14 of 14
RTRLaverty
in reply to: pendean

Auto publish is new to me and it seems I have ironed the glitches out. I am not sure what I did right. I did prefer to plot one PDF at a time though it gets onerous when you are changing, for instance, the date on a 12 sheet drawing set. The problem was that when it defaults to My documents for the new PDF it leaves the old ones in the folder with the DWG file ware I expect them to be. It can happen at a rush last minute correction before sending a large set out for multiple plots, I might grab the old ones by accident. (Embarrassing and expensive) The auto publish feature can be set to overwrite old versions of the PDF. That's worth Zillions to me when things get hectic. I am a convert. I like auto publish almost as much as grip editing on hatches!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost